Veggie Sandwich with Lemon Herb Cream Cheese
Ultimate Veggie Sandwich is one of the best vegetarian sandwiches piled high with fresh vegetables, avocado and a lemon herb cream cheese spread!
*This recipe was originally published in April 2017. I’ve updated the text to include more helpful information.
When I go out to lunch, I’m always drawn to vegetarian sandwiches. I love the crisp, fresh veggies on whole grain bread with a special spread.
It doesn’t get much better for me.
I often get into a lunch rut when I eat at home, and I fully intend to make this Ultimate Veggie Sandwich part of my new routine. It doesn’t take a lot of prep and I’ll get more veggies into my diet.
Why this is one of the best vegetarian sandwiches:
- It’s fresh and healthy, with plenty of fiber and nutrition to satisfy you longer.
- It’s a great way to get more veggies in your diet.
- Making your own vegetarian sandwich is so easy, and most of the prep may be done ahead.
- Vegetarian sandwiches are easily customizable with your favorite veggies and spreads. Swap out the cream cheese spread with white bean hummus or basil pesto sauce!
Veggie sandwich recipe ingredients
The ingredients in this sandwich are some of my favorite, and may be customized with what you have on hand.
- Good quality bread, preferably whole grain with a good source of fiber.
- Cream cheese
How to make a vegetarian sandwich
Prepare the cream cheese spread
- Place softened cream cheese, lemon juice, zest and herbs in a food processor and process until combined.
Assemble your sandwich
- Spread the cream cheese spread on the bread.
- Layer the veggies onto the bottom slice of bread and place the other slice over the top.
Are vegetarian sandwiches healthy?
- This depends on what type of diet is best for you. Typically if whole grain bread is used and the cream cheese spread is kept to a minimum, a veggie sandwich is a healthy option.
- If you’re following a low carb diet, omit the bread and use a low carb tortilla, bread or veggie wrap.
- Customize your veggie sandwich with your favorite vegetables, etc. Zucchini, bell pepper, sprouts, onions, olives, chilies are all great options!
- The cream cheese is most spreadable at room temperature. You can also whip the cream cheese with a hand mixer if you prefer, just make sure to chop the herbs first.
- Use any of your favorite veggies or herbs — this sandwich is completely customizable.
- This recipe would also be great in a wrap! See this Greek wrap for inspiration.
Additional sandwich recipes you’ll love:
Hummus veggie wrap by Taste of Home
For the cream cheese spread:
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup loosely packed herbs (I used half dill and half flat leaf parsley)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon plus 1 tablespoon zest
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- pinch of kosher salt
For the sandwich:
- 4 slices whole wheat bread (I used Dave's Killer Bread)
- 1 cup loosely packed baby spinach
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 8 slices cucumber
- 2 large radishes, sliced
- toothpicks, for serving (optional)
Prepare the cream cheese spread:
- Place all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and process until well combined. Set aside.
Assemble the sandwiches:
- Spread the desired amount of cream cheese on the top slices of bread (you will have some spread leftover). Layer the avocado, tomato, cucumber, radish, and fresh spinach on the bottom slices of bread, and top with the top slices. Use toothpicks for serving, if desired, and enjoy!
- If you prefer to whip your cream cheese with a hand mixer instead, simply chop the herbs first.
- The lemon herb cream cheese is best softened, so let it stand at room temperature to soften if you make it in advance.
- This sandwich is completely customizable -- use your favorite veggies!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 371Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 321mgCarbohydrates: 47gFiber: 13gSugar: 9gProtein: 12g
Nutrition information is mean to be an estimate only. The numbers will vary based on the quantity consumed, brands used and substitutions that are made. This information does NOT include the cream cheese spread as the information will vary depending on the amount you use.
Products Featured in this Recipe:
(may include affiliate links)