Coconut Curry Summer Squash Soup
Coconut Curry Summer Squash Soup is a silky smooth vegan summer squash soup with warm, curry flavor and creamy coconut milk!
I’ve been chin deep in summer squash and loving every minute of it! I’ve been spiralizing it and serving it with pasta sauce, and this creamy summer squash soup has me head over heels. 🙂
I grew up loving summer squash. My mom steamed it until it was soft and almost melted in my mouth…it had such a velvety texture that way. Normally I steam it or sauté it with mushrooms, but I often struggle to find different ways to prepare it.
This soup is a great way to enjoy yellow crookneck squash, pattypan or sunburst squash, and zephyr squash in a new way!
For me, summer squash is the epitome of summer, even over my beloved zucchini. Maybe because they come in so many different shapes, sizes, and colors, which make them so much more interesting to me?
Each variety has a different flavor as well, which I love.
My husband and I had date night at Revival Bar & Kitchen in Berkeley, CA last month, and the menu was full of summery goodness. The restaurant offered a curried summer squash soup with corn relish, and I had to order it.
It was quite spicy with loads of curry powder, but it was all the inspiration I needed for this summer squash soup. 🙂
I knew I wanted my soup to be mildly spiced with just enough warm, curry flavor. Then the Thai twist came to my mind, with coconut milk, lime juice, and fresh basil, which gave the soup even more silkiness, brightness, and freshness.
I used regular basil because that’s what I had, but Thai basil would also be fantastic.
It look me three different tries to get this summer squash soup the way I wanted it, so yeah…I have been chin deep in squash. And since I love it so much, that’s definitely not a bad thing.
Like I said, I’ve been loving every minute of it. I hope you make this soup and love every delicious minute of it, too! 🙂
More soup recipes you’ll love:
Corn chowder by Cooking Classy
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon curry powder*
- 1 1/2 lbs. summer squash, ends trimmed and cut into 1" pieces*
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup coconut milk (I used full fat), plus more for serving
- juice of 1/2 lime, plus more for serving
- salt and pepper, to taste
- chopped fresh basil or thai basil, for serving
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and saute 8 minutes or until translucent. Add the garlic and curry powder, and saute 30 seconds. Add the squash and saute 2 minutes longer. Add the stock, and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium low and simmer 15 minutes or until the squash is tender. Remove from heat.
- Puree the soup in a blender or food processor leaving the insert out of the top to allow the steam to escape. Pour into a large serving bowl and add the coconut milk, lime juice, and salt and pepper, to taste. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary. Serve the soup drizzled with a bit of coconut milk, chopped fresh basil, and extra lime wedges if desired. Enjoy!
- I used a combination of yellow crooked neck, patty pan, sunburst and zephyr squash. Use your favorite!
- The curry powder may be substituted with the desired amount of red curry paste.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 79Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 133mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 2gSugar: 7gProtein: 2g
Nutrition information is mean to be an estimate only. The numbers will vary based on the quantity consumed, brands used and substitutions that are made.