Basil Lime Charred Corn and Zucchini Salad
Basil Lime Charred Corn and Zucchini Salad is an easy, flavorful grilled corn and zucchini salad with fresh basil and lime!
Let’s just get one thing straight…I made this grilled corn and zucchini salad with basil and lime on a whim without the intention of posting it here. I thought “it’s too simple” and “it’s not blog-worthy”.
I’m guilty of overthinking things when it comes to what I post here, and I didn’t do that at all with this salad.
Needless to say, I felt a little funny about posting it.
Before this salad entered my mind I was out in my garden plucking gorgeous bright red and sunburst cherry tomatoes, a deep green jalapeño, and what seemed like a bushel of basil.
Next, I took some photos of my garden bounty to share on my Instagram stories.
From there, I decided that I needed to make something with the corn, zucchini, and red bell pepper that I had hanging around.
I turned on my grill because that’s always where my mind almost always goes with these ingredients.
Basil Lime Charred Corn and Zucchini Salad
I grilled, chopped, and tossed everything in the bowl, and it looked pretty to me, so I snapped some more pictures for IG. I thought maybe… just maybe…this salad might actually be blog worthy as-is.
So I snapped a couple more photos in a “just in case”.
When I tossed everything together and took a bite, I knew I had something special and it needed to be shared. It was like a summer smorgasbord of flavor! When you have produce this fresh…this good….it doesn’t need much to blow your mind.
So I snapped even more photos and wrote down my recipe. 🙂
When my husband got home and saw what was left of this grilled corn and zucchini salad, he asked me “what’s this? is it any good?” I just smiled and told him what was in it. He ate half of it, and the next day he finished it.
So yeah, it was good. And I only got 1/4 of it at best.
That’s ok, because it’s so easy to make. You don’t even need to make a dressing — just squeeze a couple of limes, give it a few glugs of olive oil, and a handful of fresh basil and it’s go time.
This Basil Lime Charred Corn and Zucchini Salad is completely delicious. The smoky taste of the charred corn and zucchini with the fresh veggies, basil, and pop of lime is summer in a bowl.
Here’s to recipes that are so easy and outrageously delicious. 🙂
More summer salads you’ll love:
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 large ears corn, husks and silks removed
- 2 medium zucchini, stemmed and sliced lengthwise into 4 long pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, sides cut from top to bottom, core discarded (or use 1/2 cup store bought roasted red bell pepper)
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 red onion, chopped (about 1/3 cup)
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped (optional)
- Juice of 2 limes
- 8 large basil leaves, sliced into chiffonade (about 1/3 cup)
- Preheat the grill to medium high. Toss the corn and zucchini with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Grill the corn for about 15 minutes, turning every 3 minutes or until well charred on each side. Grill the bell pepper skin side down for 6-10 minutes or until skin is blackened. Grill the zucchini for 3-4 minutes per side or until softened and well charred. Remove from heat.
- When cool enough to handle, place the corn on a cutting board one ear at a time, and place on it’s side. Using a sharp knife, cut the kernels from the top down on one side, then turn and continue until all of the kernels have been removed. Place the corn in a large bowl.
- Remove the blackened skin from the bell pepper and chop coarsely, then chop the zucchini and add to the bowl with the corn.
- Add the cherry tomatoes, onion, jalapeno, remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil, lime juice, basil leaves, salt and pepper, to taste. Stir until combined, taste, and adjust the seasoning as necessary.
- Serve at room temperature or make in advance and serve cold. Enjoy!
- The charred vegetables may be made in advance.
- Salad keeps well for 2-3 days and makes great leftovers!
- Substitute any of the vegetables I've used with your favorites.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 173 Total Fat: 10g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 8g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 129mg Carbohydrates: 22g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 11g Protein: 3g