One Pot Mexican Black Bean Sweet Potato Quinoa
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #YesYouCAN #CollectiveBias
One Pot Mexican Black Bean Sweet Potato Quinoa is a hearty vegetarian meal you can make in just one pot in under 40 minutes! It’s packed with flavor and guaranteed to satisfy!
I’m in the fall spirit, but the weather isn’t cooperating. It’s been in the 90’s with barely a cool-down in the evening, and to boot, my air conditioning broke for the second time in 2 weeks. That won’t stop me from eating my soups and chilis, however — I’ll eat them no matter what the temperature is outside. All I can say is, thank goodness they don’t require an oven!
I’ve got a fall meal for you today that’s reminiscent of chili but a whole lot heartier. This One Pot Mexican Black Bean Sweet Potato Quinoa is a simple meal that you can get on the table in under 40 minutes, and you only have one pot to wash!
It’s a one pot stop. 🙂
Not too many people have the time or energy to make an elaborate dinner on busy weeknights…I know I don’t. I’m often carting my 2 boys around to and from practice or sporting events in the evening, so I need fast meals. That’s why I’ve been striving to create meals that are quick and easy, but still full of flavor and satisfying. And I’ve told you that I hate to do dishes, hence the one pot thing. 🙂
You know what really makes meals easier? Hunts and RO*TEL canned tomatoes They have plenty of fresh tomato flavor without the effort, and you just can’t beat that.
I used Hunt’s No Salt Added Petite Diced Tomatoes and RO*TEL Mild Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies for this recipe, which I picked up at my local Walmart store. Since this meal is vegetarian, I also headed to Walmart’s fresh produce section and grabbed some red and yellow bell peppers, onion, garlic, cilantro, lime, and sweet potato. With the quinoa, all these delicious veggies, canned tomatoes, and warm spices, I knew this meal would satisfy.
As I mentioned, this meal is ready in under 40 minutes, and it’s very easy to make!
Simply heat some olive oil in a large skillet, and saute the onion for about 5 minutes. Add the sweet potato and saute 3-5 minutes more, or until the onion is nice and tender. Add the garlic and bell peppers, and saute 2 minutes, then add the spices and saute 30 seconds.
Next, add the canned tomatoes, vegetable stock, quinoa, and black beans to the pot and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium low. Cover and cook about 20 minutes or until the quinoa has absorbed most of the liquid. Stir in the lime juice and cilantro, and serve.
It’s really that simple!
This meal is delicious as-is, or serve with:
(b) extra lime wedges and cilantro
(d) all of the above.
Be sure to look for Hunt’s and RO*TEL canned tomatoes at your local Walmart, and visit their fresh produce department. Which meals would you create?
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and chopped into ½" chunks
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- (1) 14.5 oz. can Hunt's No Salt Added Petite Diced Tomatoes
- (1) 10 oz. can RO*TEL Mild Diced Tomatoes and Chilies
- (1) 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1½ cups vegetable stock or water
- juice of 1 large lime
- ¼ cup fresh chopped cilantro
- Extra cilantro and lime wedges, avocado, or cheese for serving, optional
- Heat the olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and saute 5 minutes. Add the sweet potato and saute until the onion is softened, 3-4 minutes longer. Add the garlic and bell peppers, and saute 2 minutes, then add the spices and saute 30 seconds longer.
- Add the quinoa, both cans of diced tomatoes, black beans, and vegetable stock and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low. Cover and cook for 20 minutes, or until the quinoa has absorbed most of the liquid. Add the lime juice, cilantro, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with the extra cilantro, lime, avocado, or cheese, if desired, and enjoy!