Sweet Potato Black Bean Tortilla Soup
Zoup! provided me with product and compensation for this post. All opinions expressed here are mine alone.
There’s nothing like a big, cozy bowl of soup on a cold day, and this vegetarian Sweet Potato Black Bean Tortilla Soup is sure to satisfy! It’s hearty, flavorful and on the table in 30 minutes!
The past several years there’s been a major shift in the way that we eat in my house. We’ve seen and read too many things about how animals are fed and raised the cheapest way possible to make things more affordable for people, but in turn it leads to environmental problems and health issues.
We prefer to buy quality meat and eat less of it, and honestly, we eat more vegetarian meals than we ever have before. In reading the latest issue of Cooking Light magazine, I discovered that there is a new description for people like me — reducetarians. I had no idea there was such a thing, but my family definitely falls into this category.
The truth is, I thoroughly enjoy eating plant-based meals because they make me feel good inside and out.
This Sweet Potato Black Bean Tortilla Soup is something I could eat every single day and never tire of it. It’s so hearty and flavorful and it certainly doesn’t hurt that it’s Mexican food. 🙂
This soup is a spin off of my favorite Sweet Potato Black Bean Enchiladas, which have gotten rave reviews from my family and readers. Since I love tortilla soup so much, I knew I couldn’t go wrong this vegan version!
The foundation of any soup is a delicious broth, and I used Zoup! Good, Really Good™ Veggie Broth in this recipe. I’d never heard of this brand before they contacted me, and I’m so glad that they did.
This is the best tasting veggie broth that I’ve tried — and I’ve tried a lot. The flavor is incredible all on its own and it completely enhanced this vegetarian tortilla soup!
Zoup! Good, Really Good™ Broth is cooked in kettles in small batches which results in its premium homemade flavor. It’s low in calories, paleo-friendly, zero carbs and completely free of hormones, gluten, GMO’s, fat, trans fat and saturated fat.
Zoup! Good, Really Good™ Broth got its start in the soup business as a fast-casual franchise chain of restaurants and is now bringing that restaurant-quality broth to supermarkets.
You can purchase this top quality broth at retailers nationwide such as Albertson’s, The Fresh Market, Giant, Giant Eagle, Kroger, Rouse’s, Gelsons, Central Market, Fresh Thyme, and Safeway.
Truth be told, I’m all about soup year round, but when it gets cold out that’s almost all I want to eat. I also love sweet potatoes so this Sweet Potato Black Bean Soup is like a bowl of heaven for me.
It’s so hearty as I mentioned, but it’s also incredibly good for you. One serving is a satisfying 217 calories. It’s also gluten-free and vegan!
This meal is extremely easy to prepare, and you can even prep your veggies ahead to make things go even faster come mealtime.
Oh and it’s freezer friendly too. It just keeps getting better doesn’t it?!
The sweetness of the sweet potatoes and red bell pepper combined with the savory spices, hearty black beans and freshness of cilantro and lime are an amazing combination.
Top it all off with crispy homemade tortilla strips (or your favorite store bought!) and you’ve got the perfect bowl of fall comfort food.
Whether you’re vegan, vegetarian, reducetarian, or just plain love soup, this Sweet Potato Black Bean Soup is the recipe for you!
More plant-based soup recipes you’ll love:
Lentil soup by Minimalist Baker
Sweet Potato Black Bean Tortilla Soup
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1.5 lbs. sweet potato about 2 medium, peeled, and cut into 1" cubes
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeno seeded and chopped
- 1 cup corn fresh or frozen
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 15 ounces black beans rinsed and drained
- 14 ounces fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 lime plus more for serving (optional)
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- salt and pepper to taste
Optional oven baked tortilla strips:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 corn tortillas sliced into strips
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and saute until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the spices and cook for 1 minute longer, stirring constantly.
- Add the sweet potato, red bell pepper, jalapeno, and corn and saute for 2-3 minutes. Add the veggie broth, black beans, diced tomatoes, and salt and pepper to taste and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 20-30 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
- Remove from heat and add the lime juice, cilantro, and adjust the seasoning if necessary. Serve warm with tortilla chips and lime wedges. Enjoy!
Prepare the tortilla strips while the soup cooks:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Toss the tortilla strips with the olive oil and salt, to taste. Bake in an even layer for 5 minutes or until golden and crispy.
- Store in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, or freeze for up to 6 months.
- Customize this soup with your favorite veggies!
Nutrition is estimated using a food database and is only intended to be used as a guideline for informational purposes.