Mexican Sweet Corn Cake
Mexican Sweet Corn Cake is moist, sweet corn cake perfect as a side dish for whatever Mexican meal you’re serving!
When I was in my twenties, I often frequented Chevy’s or El Torito’s restaurants. Besides a margarita, there was always one thing I had to have — a double order of the sweet corn cake on the side.
I know, right? I still have an enormous weakness for the stuff, but I show a little more restraint this days.
This Mexican Sweet Corn Cake is sweet, moist, and loaded with corn flavor. It’s the perfect match for whatever you’re serving for Cinco de Mayo, or any other time you’ve got a wicked corn cake craving. 🙂
Mexican Sweet Corn Cake
A few years ago I decided to make homemade Mexican Sweet Corn Cake and was so glad that I did. It tastes exactly as I remember — soft, and moist with kernels of corn throughout.
These corn cakes utilize corn in 3 ways: masa harina, or corn flour, regular corn meal and whole corn kernels. That’s 3 times the corn flavor!
If you’re not familiar with masa harina, it’s a fine corn flour used to make corn tortillas. I need to put that masa to use, so I think I’ll try making my own tortillas soon.
I need to do something else with it because I can’t make this Mexican Sweet Corn Cake all the time. It’s much too tempting for me to have it around often!
You can use cooked, fresh or frozen, thawed corn. I opted to use frozen roasted corn this time around to save time. The corn kernels need to be pulsed in a food processor for just a bit. Leave them chunky — we don’t want mush.
I love the nice, rustic look of the corn chunks, too.
This Mexican Sweet Corn Cake would be the perfect addition for your Cinco de Mayo feast or any time you’re serving Mexican dishes. 🙂
Here are some of my other dishes that would be wonderful for Cinco de Mayo as well:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup masa (corn flour)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen corn (thawed, if frozen)
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter until creamy. Add the masa and water, and beat until incorporated. Set aside.
- Pulse the corn in the food processor. Leave the corn chunky! Stir the corn into the butter mixture.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add the milk, and stir to combine.
- Stir the corn meal mixture into the butter-corn mixture just until incorporated. Pour into an ungreased 8x8" baking pan.
- Place the baking pan into a 13x9" baking dish with water filled up 1/3 of the way full. Cover the corn cake with foil.
- Place on the middle rack of the oven and bake for 50-60 minutes. Cool 10 minutes, then use an ice cream or cookie scoop for serving.
- Use roasted corn for extra flavor and flair!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 197 Total Fat: 12g Saturated Fat: 7g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 31mg Sodium: 104mg Carbohydrates: 22g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 10g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 2g