Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup is an easy, dump and go chicken tortilla soup recipe that the whole family will love!
This Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe is for a few of my friends that want a slow cooker recipe that doesn’t require any work on the stove top. You know who you are! 🙂
I’ve often been deterred from using the slow cooker if a recipe required any prep on the stove top prior to adding the ingredients to the slow cooker.
The whole purpose of the slow cooker for me is not dirtying up any other dishes. I prefer a one pot stop, so to speak.
Most of the time I make soups over the stove top because it builds so much more flavor that way, but sometimes I want an an easy, dump and go recipe that barely involves any work.
This recipe is a big dose of easy. 🙂
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
This healthy chicken tortilla soup is packed with tender shredded chicken, hearty black beans and corn.
Despite the fact that there’s no prep on the stove top first, this soup has a lot of flavor from chicken stock, fire roasted diced tomatoes, and fresh lime juice.
Top it with tortilla chips, cheese and cilantro and it’s tortilla soup perfection!
How to make chicken tortilla soup in the slow cooker
This chicken tortilla soup recipe has very minimal prep, and some of it can be done in advance. Chop the onion and mince the garlic the night before, so that all you have to do in the morning is dump everything in the slow cooker, turn it on low and let it work it’s magic for the next 6 hours.
If you’re like me, and you don’t decide to make your soup until lunch time, place it in the slow cooker and crank it up to high for 4 hours.
If you want your soup even faster, try this Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup!
This soup is beyond easy to make!
Recipe tips and substitutions
This soup can be customized very easily! Add chopped bell pepper or your favorite veggies, or substitute the black beans with your favorite.
Slow cooker tortilla soup is freezer friendly!
More dump and go slow cooker recipes you’ll love:
- 1 lb. skinless, chicken breasts (use bone-in for more flavor)
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups frozen roasted corn kernels
- 1 14 oz. can diced fire roasted tomatoes in their juice
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups lower sodium chicken broth
- (1) 14 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and chopped
- juice of one lime
- tortilla chips, grated cheese, cilantro, lime wedges, avocado, for garnish
- Place all ingredients except for the lime into the slow cooker and stir.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 6 hours or high heat for 4 hours.
- Remove chicken from the crock pot and shred, then place back in the soup.
- Add the juice of 1 lime and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Garnish with your favorite toppings.
- Prep your ingredients the night before so all you have to do is dump and go the next day.
- This soup is very freezer friendly!
- This soup can be customized very easily! Add chopped bell pepper or your favorite veggies, or substitute the black beans with your favorite.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 263 Total Fat: 8g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 57mg Sodium: 1103mg Carbohydrates: 25g Fiber: 7g Sugar: 8g Protein: 24g