35 Best Soup Recipes
It doesn’t get better than a comforting bowl of soup, and you’ll find 35 of the best soup recipes to get you through the fall and winter! You’ll find recipes like classic chicken noodle, potato, vegetable, minestrone soup and so much more!
January is soup month, so I couldn’t think of a better time to round up a collection of some of the best soup recipes!
I’m a huge fan of soup, and I eat it year round no matter what the temperature is outside. It’s a complete meal that’s comforting, satisfying and it makes the perfect meal prep lunch or dinner.
One of the best things about soup is that it can be customized using any veggies, protein and pantry staples that are on hand! It can easily be made vegetarian, vegan, gluten free, so it suits all dietary needs.
Whether you love creamy, chunky, chicken or vegetable soup, you’ll find what you’re looking for here!
10 tips to make the best soup
- Use homemade stock. Stock is the foundation of every soup recipe, so make it the best! The collagen from the bones gives my chicken and turkey stock a silky mouthfeel that makes a huge difference, and my vegetable stock has a fresh flavor that elevates any vegetarian or vegan soup.
- Start with a mirepoix. A classic French mirepoix (sautéed onion, carrot and celery) is the building block of flavor. Caramelization or fond is created from browning the vegetables, which adds a savory depth of flavor.
- Don’t add too much liquid. Add just enough liquid to cover the ingredients by a couple of inches — you can always add more, but you can’t take it out. If your soup is ever too thin, you may thicken it by pureeing some of the ingredients with a blender or immersion blender, adding mashed beans or pureed vegetables, or by adding cream, yogurt, sour cream or coconut milk.
- Salt as you go. Adding a small pinch of salt to every layer of your soup helps heighten the flavor of the ingredients, but be sure not to add too much. There is sodium in canned tomatoes, store bought stock, etc., so it’s best to taste the soup at the end of cooking time and adjust the salt then. I strongly recommend using kosher salt because the larger grains help reduce the amount of salt.
- Bone-in is best. Using bone-in chicken, turkey, ham hocks, and beef translates to a more flavorful soup and silky mouthfeel from collagen.
- Use herbs, preferably fresh. Herbs are a great way to add another dimension of flavor to your soups. I highly recommend using fresh herbs such as thyme, parsley, basil and rosemary as they add a ton of flavor, but if you don’t have any on hand, dried herbs are a great substitute. A good rule of thumb is 1 tablespoon of fresh herbs = 1 teaspoon dried.
- Add acidity. Add a tablespoon or two of an acidic ingredient such as lemon or lime juice or vinegar for a nice pop of flavor.
- Add some umami. Add a piece of parmesan cheese rind, a dash of soy sauce, liquid aminos, tamari, tomato paste or anchovy paste for deep savory flavor.
- Spice it up. Using a variety of warm spices, red pepper flakes or hot sauce is a great way to add spiciness to your soup.
- Customize it. Soup is easily customized to incorporate your favorite veggies, protein or pantry staples, and it’s easily tailored to vegetarian, vegan, gluten free, dairy free, low carb or any special diet.
Most popular soup recipes — you can’t beat the classics!
This Butternut Squash Soup is smooth, creamy and perfect for a fall or winter day! Top with croutons for the ultimate cozy bowl. For a sweeter version, try my Roasted Butternut Squash Soup. Flavor the Moments
This Instant pot chicken noodle soup is the perfect comforting, go-to meal for the cold months ahead. Only 15 minutes of preparation time, and you’re rewarded with a cozy, delicious bowl of soup, just like Mom used to make! Dessert for Two
This Creamy Potato Soup Recipe is simply the best! There’s nothing better on a cold day than a comforting bowl of potato soup loaded with all of your favorite toppings. Kristine’s Kitchen
Simmer this fragrant seafood soup for dinner and discover that a simple Cioppino is perfect for chilly winter nights. Simple Bites
This Broccoli Soup is incredibly creamy, indulgent and healthy! Make a big batch to warm up on cold days – easy to cook on the stove or your Instant Pot and suitable for freezing too. Vegetarian with vegan option. Supergolden Bakes
French Onion Soup is a deeply flavorful blend of onions caramelized in butter and slow simmered in a rich medley of beef broth and white wine, then finished with a splash of Cognac and topped with toasted croutons and bubbly Gruyere cheese. Pinch and Swirl
Hearty soup recipes the entire family will love!
It doesn’t get more comforting than Greek Avgolemono Soup! It’s creamy, hearty and lemony, and is an easy dump and go slow cooker recipe! Flavor the Moments
This easy Beef and Barley Soup is a hearty, healthy soup recipe that is made with tender chunks of beef, loads of vegetables and pearl barley. Make ahead freezer friendly. The Recipe Rebel
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup is an easy, dump and go soup recipe that the whole family will love! It’s hearty, flavorful and it’s great for meal prep! Flavor the Moments
Italian Sausage and Bean Soup is hearty, nourishing, comforting, and quick to make ~ clocking in at just under an hour. It rivals Grandma’s chicken soup when it comes to curing what ails you. The View from Great Island
Put that leftover turkey to the best use possible in this Slow Cooker Turkey Wild Rice Soup! It’s hearty, naturally gluten free, and is the easiest dump ‘n go recipe! Flavor the Moments
This traditional Mexican Chicken Pozole Recipe is perfectly flavored and spiced made with comforting hominy, peppers, delicious chicken and so much love. Grandbaby Cakes
Starting off the New Year with a bang and making this Instant Pot stuffed pepper soup on repeat. This soup has everything you love about stuffed peppers inside: ground meat, rice, tomatoes, and peppers. It is gluten free, dairy free, and can be made Whole30 compliant, low carb, and keto. The Movement Menu
Want a soup that’s easy to make and delicious? This One Pot Italian Wedding Soup Recipe is to die for! It’s filled with so much flavor and is healthy and filling, too! Yummy Healthy Easy
How do you use that leftover ham from your holiday feast? Make this Ham and Bean Soup Recipe to use your ham leftovers in an entirely new dinner. This easy, healthy meal is perfect for a cold Winter day. Wonky Wonderful
Salsa Verde Chicken Soup is a fresh, flavorful dump and go slow cooker soup that the entire family will love! Flavor the Moments
Learn how to make Instant Pot Black Eyed Peas (Pressure Cooker Black Eyed Peas). Super easy to make this flavorful hearty black-eyed pea soup with creamy beans & tender ham. Comforting, nourishing, & nutritious! Pressure Cook Recipes
Healthy vegetarian and vegan soup recipes
This White Bean and Kale Soup is a hearty, healthy vegan soup packed with creamy white beans, chunky veggies, kale and the freshness of lemon! Flavor the Moments
This Vegan Creamy Tomato Basil Soup recipe is one everyone will enjoy! It’s a great Whole30 soup packed with a variety of veggies. A dairy free tomato soup, this gets its creamy texture from a blend of cauliflower and cashews. Sunkissed Kitchen
So easy to create a mouthwatering dinner and with minimal hands on time! Set it and forget it, Slow Cooker Vegetarian Taco Soup! Rich, thick and hearty, packed with warming spices, beans and corn. It’s freezer friendly too! This recipe is also gluten free and easily vegan. Vanilla and Bean
Instant Pot Carrot Ginger Soup is a healthy, creamy, vegan soup with fresh ginger, turmeric, and coconut milk, and it’s topped with crispy curry chickpeas!
This Instant Pot bean soup recipe uses a 13 bean and lentil blend with a hearty tomato base for a cozy vegan meal. Tuscan kale leaves are stirred in at the end for added color and nutrition. Running to the Kitchen
Pumpkin soup is healthy, vegan soup made with roasted pumpkin and apples. It’s smooth, velvety and delicious! Flavor the Moments
Mushroom Barley Soup is a rustic, comforting soup packed with mushrooms, veggies and hearty pearl barley. Includes Instant Pot instructions! Flavor the Moments
This silky, 6-ingredient, naturally vegan sweet potato soup is ready in about 30 minutes. Thai-inspired and made with coconut milk, it’s perfect topped with chopped peanuts, cilantro and sriracha. Our Happy Mess
This creamy and healthy dairy free corn chowder is a summertime staple! Filled with fresh veggies, yukon potatoes and coconut milk, it’s jam packed with flavor and is incredibly easy to whip up. Ideas for optional add-ins included in the post. Cook Nourish Bliss
Roasted Red Pepper and Butternut Squash Soup is sweet and smoky with roasted red peppers and butternut squash and hints of coconut and spice. It’s also dairy-free and can easily be made vegan and vegetarian. The post also includes plenty of recipe tips and substitutions. Crumb Top Baking
This Vegetarian Lentil Tortilla Soup is my all-time FAVORITE! It can be made in an Instant Pot pressure cooker, slow cooker, or on the stove, for an easy and crazy tasty soup everyone will love! Peas and Crayons
Our warm and comforting Cabbage Soup recipe cooks up in less than 30 minutes. In addition to being a vegan cabbage soup recipe, it’s also gluten-free! Know Your Produce
Enjoy the warm flavor of curry, creaminess of coconut milk and freshness of basil in this Summer Squash Soup! This velvety smooth vegan soup has a luxurious texture, takes just a few ingredients and is ready in 30 minutes! Flavor the Moments
There’s nothing better than a pot of hot, fragrant and cozy plant-based goodness on a cold day! Especially when it’s as easy to make and nutritious as our anti-inflammatory vegan lentil soup. Nutriciously
There’s nothing like a big, cozy bowl of soup on a cold day, and this vegetarian Sweet Potato Black Bean Tortilla Soup is sure to satisfy! It’s hearty, flavorful and on the table in 30 minutes! Flavor the Moments
Autumn Vegetable Soup is an easy, healthy vegetarian soup recipe packed with butternut squash, kale and hearty white beans! Flavor the Moments