Mushroom Barley Soup
I will confess, I am a soup addict. It doesn’t matter if it’s spring, summer, winter, or fall…I will eat soup any time, any where. When I don’t make homemade soup, I love going to Whole Foods market and grabbing some soup from their soup bar. One of my favorites is their Mushroom Barley Soup. I finally got around to making my own, and my son told me that it tasted like Whole Foods’ soup. I took that as a compliment. 😉 This soup is packed with meaty mushrooms, carrots, celery, and plenty of barley to make it hearty enough for a meal. Don’t let the warm weather stop you from making soup. It’s comfort food, so that means it’s great any time of year. 🙂
One of the reasons I love this soup so much is because I absolutely love mushrooms. I love them on pizza, in salads, pasta, or grilled on the barbecue. If I had a top ten list of my favorite foods, mushrooms would be one of them. Mushrooms are just so meaty and delicious, and they’re fantastic in this soup! 😀
This is the first time I’ve ever cooked with barley. I’ve seen may recipes utilizing barley in risotto, pasta-type salads, etc., so I finally picked up a bag. I really like the nuttiness of it, and it really makes this soup extra satisfying. I had plenty of soup leftover, and I found that the barley soaked up a lot of the liquid. I simply added extra water or stock to it before I reheated it, seasoned it a bit more with salt and pepper, and it was good as new. 🙂
Next time you’re craving a comforting bowl of soup, give this mushroom barley soup a try. It’s great for lunch or dinner with a side salad. You just can’t go wrong with it. I could seriously eat this every day.
- 1 cup barley
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 small carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 lb. cremini mushrooms, stems removed, and sliced
- 4 cups beef broth
- salt and pepper, to taste
- fresh chopped parsley, for garnish
- Place the water in a large sauce pan and bring to a boil. Add the barley and bring back to a boil. Turn the heat down to medium low and simmer 30-40 minutes, or until the barley has absorbed all of the water. Set aside.
- In a large soup pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, celery, and garlic, and saute until the onion is translucent and the vegetables are softened, about 8 minutes. Add the cayenne pepper and cook 30 seconds more. Add the mushrooms and cook 5 more minutes until softened. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low and add the barley. Simmer 15 minutes, then add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with freshly chopped parsley.
Recipe from Flavor the Moments.