Easy White Bean and Kale Soup
Get your daily dose of veggies in a cozy, satisfying bowl of White Bean and Kale Soup! This is a hearty, healthy vegan soup that’s packed with fresh flavor and great for meal prep!
Soup weather is in full swing over here in CA. No, we don’t have snow and freezing cold temps like some parts of the nation, but we do have a considerable amount of rain after a very dry December.
Rain always gets me in the mood for soup. Then again…I’m always in the mood for soup. 🙂
This easy White Bean and Kale Soup is one of my favorite soup recipes, which I originally posted back in 2013 when I first started this blog.
It incorporates hearty kale, which is one of my favorite greens. I love enjoying it in kale salad, but it turns out that it’s even tastier in soup!
Why you’ll love this recipe:
- White Bean and Kale Soup is packed with veggies, creamy white beans and an entire bunch of kale and makes a healthy, satisfying meal.
- It’s very easy to make, and is easily customized with ingredients you have in your pantry!
- This is a fantastic meal prep recipe as it keeps for up to 5 days, or it may be frozen for up to 3 months.
What I love about this white bean kale soup is that it’s completely plant-based, yet it’s nice and hearty. There are 2 cans of white beans in this soup, so it will stick to your ribs!
- White beans. Creamy white beans work so well in this recipe. I used cannellini beans, but Great Northern beans are a great substitute. In a pinch you can use whatever you have in your pantry.
- Kale. I love using kale in soups because it’s nice and hardy. For this recipe I used dinosaur kale (also known as Tuscan or lacinato), but you may use other varieties such as curly or baby kale.
- Veggies. This soup is packed with veggies and fire roasted diced tomatoes, which can be customized with what you have on hand.
- Vegetable broth. My homemade vegetable broth makes all the difference in this recipe, but it may be substituted with your favorite store bought brand.
- Flavor enhancers. I used fresh thyme, bay leaf and lemon juice to enhance the flavors in this white bean kale soup. These ingredients make this soup next level!
How to make this recipe
This is a healthy meal that tastes so good that you’ll want it again and again. The best part is that you more than likely have all of the ingredients in your pantry or fridge.
The white bean and kale soup takes about 10 minutes of prep, 30 minutes of cook time, and it couldn’t be easier.
- Sauté the onion, carrot and celery in a large pot or Dutch oven in olive oil until softened, 5-7 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes, vegetable broth, thyme, bay leaf and beans, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Add the kale during the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Remove the soup from heat and stir in the fresh lemon juice and adjust the seasoning as necessary.
Cannellini beans, or white kidney beans, are the most popular white beans. Great Northern or navy beans are great substitutes..
Vegetable soups are the healthiest soups to eat as they’re packed with veggies, greens and herbs. If you’re following a low carb diet, be sure that you don’t include potatoes or other starchy veggies as they’re high in carbohydrates.
- Whip up a batch of this white bean and kale soup recipe for your meal prep lunch or dinner, or freeze a batch for those busy weeknights.
- This soup is completely customizable with whatever vegetables that you have on hand.
More Soup recipes you’ll love:
- Butternut squash soup
- Carrot ginger soup
- Creamy roasted cauliflower soup by Cookie + Kate
- Summer squash soup
- Vegetarian minestrone soup
- Pumpkin apple soup
- White bean turkey chili
If you make this recipe I’d love to hear from you! Leave a comment and rating below, or tag me at @flavorthemoments on Instagram!
Easy White Bean and Kale Soup
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 1 large carrot chopped
- 1 large stalk celery chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 15 ounces fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 4 cups homemade vegetable broth or sub with your favorite store bought variety
- 1 spring thyme substitute with 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cans cannelini beans rinsed and drained
- 1 bunch kale torn, tough stems discarded
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large soup pot or Dutch oven. Add the onion, carrot, celery and garlic and saute for 5-7 minutes or until softened.
- Add the diced tomatoes, broth, sprig of thyme, bay leaf and beans and stir to combine. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in the kale during the last 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and remove the bay leaf and thyme sprig, then stir in the lemon juice. Adjust the seasoning as needed and enjoy!
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- White bean kale soup is completely customizable with whatever vegetables, greens or beans that you have on hand.
Nutrition is estimated using a food database and is only intended to be used as a guideline for informational purposes.