Winter Radicchio Salad with Avocado, Fennel and Orange
Winter Radicchio Salad with Avocado, Fennel and Orange is a crunchy, colorful winter salad tossed in a citrus maple dressing!
As I mentioned last week, I was on set watching (not competing!) the filming of Food Network’s Guys’ Grocery Games. It was such a wonderful experience!
Everyone on the staff was so friendly and accommodating, including Guy himself. While I can’t give any details about the episode, the set had a casual, fun environment that was full of people that seemed to love what they do.
I’ve loved watching Guy since he competed on the Next Food Network Star so I had to suppress my inner fan girl. 🙂
I set up a highlight of my time on set on my Instagram page, so check it out!
If you follow me on Instagram, you may have seen several of my stories that included this Winter Radicchio Salad with Avocado, Fennel and Orange. I actually photographed it on three different occasions because I felt that the photos were lacking the first two times.
I feel that these photos are a good representation of what I consider to be the best winter salad ever. And that’s saying a lot!
Winter Radicchio Salad
I’ve always loved radicchio, but this winter it’s been a staple in my fridge. I began using it when I was developing the recipe for The Ultimate Italian Chopped Salad, and I couldn’t seem to stop adding it to my dishes from that point on.
Radicchio is a member of the chicory family and is widely used in Italian cuisine. It’s soft yet crisp, with a bitter flavor that’s perfectly complemented with the creamy avocado, fresh orange and tangy citrus maple dressing.
The crisp, fresh ingredients in this winter radicchio salad make it truly addicting. It’s got so much texture and flavor, and it’s full of plant-based goodness. 🙂
How to make Winter Radicchio Salad with Avocado, Fennel and Orange
This salad comes together very quickly with only a few ingredients.
To peel your citrus, simply cut off the top and bottom of each, and place standing up on a cutting board. Remove the peel from the sides by cutting from the top to bottom, removing as much of the white pith as possible.
Place the lettuce in a large bowl. Add the chopped radicchio, fennel, sliced orange and avocado.
Be sure to save some of the fennel fronds and toss them into the salad too! They add a nice freshness.
To prepare the dressing, place all ingredients in a small mason jar, seal tightly with a lid and shake vigorously until emulsified.
I love prepping my ingredients on Sunday to make this recipe come together even quicker during the week.
Make it a mason jar for meal prep lunch! Layer as follows: dressing, avocado, orange, radicchio, fennel and lettuce.
Use your favorite type of orange or a variety! Navel oranges, mandarins, tangerines and blood oranges are all wonderful options.
When pomegranate is in season, it’s a wonderful addition to this salad!
More winter salad inspiration!
- 5 ounces baby butter or baby lettuce, such as Earthbound Farm Organic
- 2 cups chopped radicchio
- 1 small fennel bulb, halved and sliced
- 2 medium navel oranges
- 1 medium avocado, pitted and sliced
For the dressing:
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- To peel your oranges, simply cut off the top and bottom of each orange, and place standing up on a cutting board. Remove the peel from the sides by cutting from the top to the bottom, removing as much of the white pith as possible.
- Place all salad ingredients in a large bowl.
- Place the olive oil, vinegar, orange juice, lemon juice, maple syrup, dijon and salt and pepper to taste in a small mason jar. Seal the lid tightly and shake vigorously until emulsified.
- Pour the desired amount of dressing onto the salad and toss gently to coat.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
- I love prepping my ingredients on Sunday to make this recipe come together even quicker during the week.
- Make it a mason jar for meal prep lunch! Layer as follows: dressing, avocado, orange, radicchio, fennel and lettuce.
- Use your favorite type of orange or a variety! Navel oranges, mandarins, tangerines and blood oranges are all wonderful options.
- When pomegranate is in season, its a wonderful addition to this salad!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 205Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 61mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 4gSugar: 7gProtein: 2g