I told you yesterday that I was going to post something where I put my tart, fresh Lime Curd to good use. These Granola Tart Shells with Greek Yogurt, Lime Curd, and Blackberries are it. I tried eating lime curd with my Greek yogurt and berries the day I made it, and it was fabulous. I toyed with the idea of doing a layered parfait, which would be great, too, but I’ve really been wanting to try making a granola crust and make a tart that could be breakfast, a snack, or dessert. This is just that. The granola is the perfect base for the creamy vanilla Greek yogurt, lime curd, and blackberries. I’m completely obsessed with this combination right now. There’s no going back! 😉
I’ve seen breakfast tarts out there with granola crusts, filled with Greek yogurt and topped with fresh fruit, so this is my spin on them. This is one mighty fine way to eat! I didn’t want to make a giant tart, mostly because it generally needs to be eaten the same day. These granola tart shells are individual size, and can be filled when you’re ready for one. You get to be the judge. 😀
I was quite worried about these little granola tart shells, however. I wasn’t so sure they’d even come out in one piece. It was a gamble that paid off. I was almost shocked when they actually did come out intact, and quite easily at that. I made sure that I made them thick enough so they’d be sturdy enough, and once they cooled for about 10 minutes on a wire rack after baking, they popped right out with a little help from a knife. I was prepared to go to the granola parfait for Plan B, but it wasn’t necessary. I love it when a plan comes together.
The glory of these little granola tart shells is you can fill them with whatever you want. I used my favorite low fat Chobani vanilla Greek yogurt, and it married so well the sweet-tart lime curd and blackberries. It’s just heavenly. It’s something you just won’t understand until you taste it. Give it a try! 😉
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats or gluten-free oats
- ⅓ cup finely shredded coconut, optional
- 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts or pecans
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Lime Curd
- Low fat Chobani Greek yogurt, for serving
- Blackberries or fruit of your choice, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Generously spray (10) cavities of a standard muffin pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the oats, coconut, nuts, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Add the maple syrup and butter, and stir until well combined. Place about 2 tablespoons of the granola mixture into each of the (10) cavities, pressing down across the bottom and up the sides until about ⅓ of the way up. Be sure that the bottom is the thickest part, around ½", to ensure that the shell will be sturdy enough to come out. Bake 10 minutes, then remove the pan from the oven and press the granola mixture down into the pan once again with the back of a spoon. Place back in the oven for about 2-3 more minutes, or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Using a knife, gently loosen the shells from the muffin pan and place on the wire rack to cool completely. Just before serving, fill each shell with Greek yogurt, a dollop of lime curd, and a blackberry. Enjoy!
Mini tart pans with removable bottoms are a great way to make these if you have them...I don't yet!
Granola tart shell recipe adapted from The Domestic Curator.
Lime Curd recipe adapted from Flavor the Moment's Lemon Curd recipe