Apple Oatmeal Crisp Muffins
This post was sponsored by Bob’s Red Mill. All opinions expressed here are my own as I only promote brands that I truly love.
Apple Oatmeal Crisp Muffins are tender, whole grain apple crisp muffins studded with chunks of apple and topped with an oat streusel!
My kids have been back to school for an entire week already, and things are transitioning nicely. I’m getting used to a quiet house again — the first day of school I was so out of sorts being alone!
I did have my dog, but he’s a pretty quiet guy. 🙂
My boys go to different schools now, so I’m on a mission to make things go as smoothly as possible so we can get out the door fast.
These apple crisp muffins are a quick and easy breakfast, and perfectly portable in case we’re running late.
Apple Crisp Muffins
I’m pretty vocal about my love of oatmeal. It’s in the regular breakfast rotation in some form, but I had the idea to make this apple crisp muffin recipe for a fun back to school breakfast.
These healthy apple crisp muffins are whole grain with whole wheat white flour and a double dose of oatmeal in the muffins themselves and in the streusel.
That’s double the oatmeal love!
Speaking of oatmeal….I used Bob’s Red Mill Old Fashioned Rolled Oats for this recipe.
I always have a variety of Bob’s Red Mill products on hand because it’s a brand that I trust. Their oats are no exception, and what sets them apart is that they’re kiln roasted to give them a delicious, wholesome flavor.
Oats are incredibly versatile as shown in these apple muffins. When baked inside, they add a mild nutty flavor, and a slightly chewy texture that I love.
In the crisp topping, the oats become nice and crispy, resulting in muffins with even more texture.
Let’s not forget that oats are rich in dietary fiber and help reduce cholesterol. They’re a huge win any way you look at them!
How to make apple crisp muffins
These apple crisp muffins are extremely easy to make, and I’ve included a tutorial to make things even easier.
Let’s get down to the basics:
- First we place our dry ingredients in medium bowl. Next, we whisk our wet ingredients together in a large bowl, and stir the dry ingredients into the wet until just combined.
- After that, we fold in our fresh apple chunks, and divide the batter equally between our 12 muffin cups. I like to use an ice cream scoop to spoon the batter in…it makes life much easier!
- Next, prepare the streusel topping. Place all the ingredients in a small bowl, then using a pastry blender, two forks, or your fingers, work the cold chunks of butter into the oat-flour mixture.
- Place the streusel on top of the muffin batter (you may have some leftover), and bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Once the muffins have cooled, make the glaze and drizzle it over the top of the muffins. That’s completely optional, of course, but it does add a little drama, doesn’t it? 😉
These healthy apple muffins were a huge hit with my boys, and it eased the pain involved with going back to school. They’re completely reminiscent of apple crisp with big chunks of apple and that golden brown streusel topping.
Back to school breakfasts really don’t get much better than this. 🙂
Need more breakfast ideas? See my other breakfast recipes.
More apple recipes you’ll love:
For the muffins:
For the Streusel:
For the Glaze: (optional)
Prepare the muffins:
Prepare the streusel:
Prepare the glaze (optional):
Serving Size: 1 muffin
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 286 Total Fat: 10g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 39mg Sodium: 154mg Carbohydrates: 44g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 19g Protein: 7g
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.