Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
Are Chocolate Zucchini Muffins a trick or treat? I think it’s they’re probably a trick that doubles as a treat, which makes them perfect for Halloween. These muffins certainly look and tastes like a treat, but hiding grated zucchini in a cloak of chocolate batter is trickery at its best.
Adding zucchini is a great way to incorporate a bit of nutrition into a muffin. The first time I made these my oldest son was about 8. He is not a fan of anything much to eat that is the color green…unless maybe it’s Jell-O. He saw the green bits of zucchini in one of these muffins as he ate it and it did not deter him in the slightest because of all the chocolatey goodness. They are great to take to a school Halloween party, eat for breakfast or a snack with a glass of milk. I mean, look at them….don’t they just scream cupcake?? We moms need a few tricks up our sleeves, and I think this one takes the cake and replaces it with a delicious, yet healthy muffin.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ⅔ cup whole wheat white flour
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1¼ cup grated zucchini
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar (granulated is fine too)
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup lowfat buttermilk
- ⅓ cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin pan with paper liners.
- Combine the flours, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl with a whisk. Stir in the grated zucchini, making sure to completely coat with the flour mixture.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the brown sugar and canola oil until well incorporated. Add the eggs one at a time, whisking well after each addition. Add the flour mixture in two additions, alternating with the buttermilk, stirring just until incorporated. Do not over mix. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Using an ice cream scoop, scoop the batter into the lined muffin cups. Bake in 350 degree oven for 18-20 minutes, or when the tops of muffins spring back when touched.
- Cool on wire rack for ten minutes, then remove and continue to cool on wire rack.