Peanut Butter Banana Chocolate Chunk Muffins
Peanut Butter Banana Chocolate Chunk Muffins are healthier, whole grain muffins with three great flavors in one delicious muffin!
And we have muffins! Big, peanut-buttery, banana, chocolate chunk ones to be exact. What could possibly be better to greet you in the morning besides a steaming hot cup of joe? One of these muffins with a big cup of joe, naturally. 🙂
I ought to know how nice it is to start a day off with these, because I made several batches of these trying to get the recipe right, despite the fact my kids proclaimed them “Awesome!” every time I made a some. I was being a little nit-picky, but deep down, I just wanted to keep making these muffins.
Like I needed an excuse. 🙂
The best part about muffins to me is the big domes, and these have some doozies. Almost sky high! I love that, and the chocolate chunks certainly don’t hurt either.
I had chocolate chunks leftover from my Flourless Almond Butter Chocolate Chunk Sandwich Cookies, and these were the perfect breakfast-y place to put them. Peanut butter, banana, and chocolate chips are a huge comfort food trifecta, too, so chocolate was definitely in order. 🙂
These muffins are healthier with whole grains and heart healthy canola oil, and they’re loaded with plenty of mashed bananas, with some peanut butter and Greek yogurt for some protein. Yes, the chocolate is indulgent, but I fully support chocolate as a daily indulgence in moderation. Lord knows I have some every day, so I may as well start my day with it, right? The only problem is, by the end of the day I may want more because it’s been too long. #imachocolaholic
So grab a cup of coffee and a muffin, and start your day! Here’s to great beginnings. 🙂
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat white flour*
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 cup mashed bananas (about 3 medium)
- ½ cup peanut butter, melted*
- ½ cup low fat milk
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt (I used 2%)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chunks
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a standard muffin pan with paper liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, vigorously whisk the sugars, oil, egg, and egg yolk until frothy, about 1 minute. Whisk in the mashed bananas, peanut butter, milk, yogurt, and vanilla until well incorporated. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir just until combined. Fold in the chocolate chunks.
- Scoop the batter evenly into the paper liners. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 18-22 minutes, checking for doneness after 18 minutes. The muffins are done when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from heat and cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack, then remove from the pan and allow to cool completely or serve warm. Enjoy!
*Melt the peanut butter in a small bowl in the microwave for about 40 seconds to 1 minute when you start measuring your ingredients and allow to cool slightly before adding to the egg mixture.
Normally I use natural peanut butter with oil on top, but for baking, I use no-stir natural peanut butter.
I used chocolate chunks because I had them, but these are also great with regular or mini sized chocolate chips!
Recipe by Flavor the Moments.