Peanut Butter Banana Chocolate Chip Oat Bars
Peanut Butter Banana Chocolate Chip Oat Bars are soft and chewy oat bars packed with peanut butter, bananas, and rolled oats. They’re flourless, contain no refined sugar, and come together in less than 10 minutes in one bowl!
I like to make my own snacks to limit the amount of processed foods in the house, which you’ve probably heard me say over and over like a broken record. Or every time I post a snack recipe, anyway. 🙂 With two growing boys and a husband that eat me out of house and home, it’s hard to keep up. I’m sure most of you know what I’m talking about. I’ve helped myself out by creating an ultra easy snack recipe with these Peanut Butter Banana Chocolate Chip Oat Bars, and the best part? They double as breakfast bars and will even satisfy that ornery sweet tooth!
Take that from me…I’ve eaten them morning, post-workout, and night. 🙂
These bars have morphed over time, meaning they started out as breakfast cookie bars adapted from my Trail Mix Breakfast Cookies, and then I started to make them even healthier by cutting down on the sweetener, flour, and oil. When I posted those cookies, I told you that I refuse to make anything too healthy to sacrifice flavor and texture, and that still holds true. These bars are even healthier, and there’s no sacrifice in flavor or texture whatsoever. If anything, they’re even better.
How can this be possible? I’m glad you asked! I added more banana to this recipe because I almost always have overripe bananas lying around. That definitely helped add moisture and sweetness so that I could eliminate more sweetener. Then I got the idea that they needed peanut butter…and lots of it. 🙂
The first few batches, I made these with about half oats and half whole wheat flour, and they still seemed a bit dry. Then I decided to use only oats, and that’s where these got magical. They were so soft with enough chewiness from the oats, and they were perfectly sweet for me.
I could’ve stopped right there, but I think you may agree that chocolate chips make everything better — especially when we’re dealing with peanut butter and banana? Peanut butter, banana, and chocolate are one of my favorite combinations, and I use them together as often as possible (see these muffins for proof).
These bars come together in 10 minutes or less, with a handful of ingredients, and only one bowl! They make it so much easier for me to stay on top of making homemade snacks, and the fewer packaged snacks we have around the house, the happier I am.
Needless to say the countless batches I made of these Peanut Butter Banana Chocolate Chip Oat Bars was worth the effort. My kids ask for these all the time, and truly, they’re perfect for breakfast, snacks, and satisfying your need for something sweet. These bars are wholesome, delicious, and are what healthier snacking is all about. 🙂
More healthy snacks you may like:
Chocolate, Almond, and Cherry Truffles by Kristine’s Kitchen
Gluten Free Blueberry Lemon Snack Bars by Making Thyme for Health
Peanut Butter and Jelly Granola Bars by Oh My Veggies
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter*
- ¼ cup coconut oil (canola oil may be substituted)
- 2 large ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)
- ⅓ cup maple syrup or your favorite sweetener
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3½ cups old fashioned rolled oats
- ½ cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips*
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13" baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place the peanut butter and coconut oil (if it's solidified) in a large microwave bowl and heat for 20 - 30 seconds until melted. Whisk well to combine.
- Add the banana, maple syrup, beaten egg, and baking powder, and whisk until incorporated. Stir in the oats until they're coated evenly with the banana mixture, then stir in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and smooth evenly. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until lightly golden brown and set. Cool on a wire rack and cut into bars. Enjoy!
Recipe by Flavor the Moments.