Trail Mix Cookies
Trail Mix Cookies are healthy trail mix cookies packed with rolled oats, cranberries, nuts and chocolate chips. They’re great for breakfast and snacks!
You know it’s going to be a good day when it starts off with cookies…..especially when they’re cookies that involve less guilt and ones you can eat for breakfast!
That’s exactly what we’ve got here today — these Trail Mix Cookies are wholesome and nutritious, making them perfect for breakfast eating.
What a way to start the week, right? 🙂
I’ve been holding out on you with this trail mix cookie recipe, but it’s not entirely my fault. I made them weeks ago and they were SO perfect — just the right texture and sweetness. They were healthier without tasting like it, if you will.
I decided that these cookies would still be delicious if I reduced the amount of coconut oil and maple syrup ever so slightly. Let’s just say I didn’t like that batch nearly as much, and the family agreed.
They turned into a healthier cookie that did taste healthier, which isn’t a good thing for me. My second healthier batch was on the dry side and lacked flavor. I knew what I had to do….make the first batch again!
The cookies were back to my idea of the perfect healthier cookie — chewy, moist, and full of flavor. 🙂
Trail Mix Cookies
I made these cookies with a combination of white whole wheat flour and old fashioned rolled oats so that they’re completely whole grain. I also added some unsweetened shredded coconut added to the mix because you know I love my coconut.
We’ve also got coconut oil, maple syrup and a mashed banana, which helps add moisture and natural sweetness.
The fun part of all of this is choosing your “trail mix” ingredients:
- dried fruit: cranberries, raisins, cherries, or apricots
- chocolate chips: dark, semi-sweet, white, or a combination of all!
- nuts: walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts, pecans, pistachios
Each of my 3 batches had different combinations going on depending on what I had. They did all happen to contain cranberries and coconut, because I love them in my breakfast cookies!
Sky’s the limit on how you want to customize these cookies, and your family is guaranteed to love them! What’s not to love about cookies for breakfast?
Not a thing. 🙂
More healthy breakfast options!
Protein Donuts by Clean Eating Couple
Healthy Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies
- 1 large banana mashed (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup sub with honey or coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted; sub with your favorite oil
- 1/4 cup peanut butter or your favorite nut butter
- 2 large eggs
- 2.5 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/3 cup mini dark chocolate chips or your favorite
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line (2) baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the banana, maple syrup, coconut oil, peanut butter and eggs until combined.
- Add the oats, baking powder, cinnamon and salt, and stir until incorporated, then stir in the coconut flakes and chocolate chips.
- Using a ½" cookie scoop, scoop the dough onto the prepared baking sheet about 2" apart, flattening the tops until the cookies are 2-2½" in diameter. Bake one sheet at a time on the middle rack of the oven for 10-13 minutes, or until the cookies are golden and set.
- Remove from heat and cool completely on a wire rack. Enjoy!
- Store breakfast cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days, or in the refrigerator for one week.
- Substitute the coconut, chocolate chips and nuts with your favorite add-in's!
Nutrition is estimated using a food database and is only intended to be used as a guideline for informational purposes.