Oatmeal Coconut Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
Oatmeal Coconut Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread is a healthy zucchini bread recipe studded with flaked coconut and dark chocolate chips!
I’ve been extremely indecisive lately…before this Oatmeal Coconut Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread that is. I had a bazillion zucchini recipe ideas swirling around my head for pancakes, waffles, cookies, muffins, brownies…you name it.
Zucchini is so versatile, which is why I love it, but it’s almost too versatile. I finally decided to do an adaptation on my Healthier Zucchini Apple Bread, because my zucchini was going to spoil if I didn’t get on it.
I knew this recipe would come out moist and delicious, even with a few significant changes. 🙂
This Oatmeal Coconut Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread is more nutritious than your typical zucchini bread with the goodness of whole wheat white flour and rolled oats.
This means you’re almost getting your morning oatmeal in a loaf — with some veggies too!
We’ve also got coconut sugar, which happens to be unrefined, and coconut oil instead of butter. Coconut oil has more health benefits than butter and I love the moist texture that it adds to this bread.
If you don’t have coconut oil on hand, canola oil is a great substitute.
We all know that chocolate and zucchini are a match made in heaven (which is why I added dark chocolate chips), but who knew that shredded coconut would be so amazing here? It’s a chance that I had to take, and I’m so glad that I did.
Quite honestly, zucchini bread isn’t the same for me anymore without coconut.
I make this Oatmeal Coconut Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread as much as humanly possible when zucchini is in season…it’s a family favorite. It’s moist yet hearty, and the flavors of dark chocolate and coconut take it over the top.
Your breakfast awaits!
Hungry for more zucchini recipes? Try these:
Zucchini cupcakes by Taste of Home
Note: The photos and recipe were updated and a recipe video was added on July 15, 2017.
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup whole wheat white flour (may be substituted with all purpose flour)*
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar (may be substituted with granulated or brown sugar)
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted and cooled (may be substituted with canola oil)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups grated zucchini (about 2 medium zucchini)
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a standard size loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- Whisk together the oats, flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the brown sugar, granulated sugar, eggs, and coconut oil vigorously, until foamy, about 1 minute. Add the zucchini, coconut, and chocolate chips and stir until combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and stir just until incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 40-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes, remove from pan, and cool completely before slicing. Enjoy!
*Whole wheat white flour results in a lighter texture than whole wheat flour. Whole wheat flour may be substituted if you don't have whole wheat white but the bread will be a bit heavier in texture.
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 264 Total Fat: 13g Saturated Fat: 8g Cholesterol: 37mg Sodium: 154mg Carbohydrates: 34g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 20g Protein: 4g