Banana Blueberry Oatmeal Bread
This Banana Blueberry Oatmeal bread is a healthy, whole grain banana blueberry bread with the goodness of rolled oats and plenty of blueberries!
Did you know that February 23 was National Banana Bread Day? If you’re like me, you love banana bread, but the prospect of banana bread having it’s own national holiday sounds a little absurd. Who dreams up this stuff?
As absurd as it may sound, I decided to make this Banana Blueberry Oatmeal Bread for the occasion. This is a food blog, which means I have a certain obligation to fully embrace these food-type holidays.
Really, it’s just another excuse to mash up some overripe bananas, bake some bread, and enjoy it. Isn’t that what life’s all about? Plus, my house smells awesome. 🙂
Banana Blueberry Oatmeal Bread
I really wanted to make a banana bread that was a little different this time. I always love incorporating oatmeal into baked goods because of it’s nutty flavor and it’s so hearty. As you know, most banana breads contain a ton of sugar and not much nutrition, but this one is different.
For starters, this bread contains whole wheat flour and rolled oats. You can use quick oats or oat flour, but I like rolled oats because they give the bread more texture. We also have some Greek yogurt for added protein, moisture, and tang.
If you’re not into the oats, you can try this classic blueberry banana bread.
The bananas and blueberries add more nutrition, and moisture as well, so we have a healthier bread that’s not as dry as cardboard. I mean, who wants to eat that?
This Banana Blueberry Oatmeal bread really satisfies the sweet tooth and makes you feel like you’re eating something special.
You are, after all. 🙂
This bread is great for breakfast, a snack, or dessert. Pack in your kids’ lunches and they’ll be in heaven. They’re guaranteed to like it better than packaged granola bars, crackers, or chips. Really, they will.
Next time you’re in the mood for banana bread with a twist, bake some, too! It may not officially be National Banana Bread anymore, but it doesn’t have to be to enjoy banana bread, now does it?
More healthy breakfast treats:
- 1 cup + 1 tablespoon all purpose flour, divided
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats*
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3 medium ripe bananas, mashed (1 cup)
- 1/2 cup low fat milk**
- 1/4 cup plain 2% Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries, thawed and tossed with 1 tablespoon flour
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a standard loaf pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Whisk together the cup of flour, oats, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat the sugar, eggs, and oil vigorously until frothy, about 1 minute. Whisk in the banana, milk, Greek yogurt, and vanilla.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients just until combined, then gently fold in the blueberries.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan evenly and bake on the middle rack of the oven for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes, then remove from pan and cool completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature. Enjoy!
*You may use quick oats or oat flour in place of the rolled oats if desired.
*The milk may be replaced with whole milk, or dairy free options such as almond or coconut milk.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 207 Total Fat: 8g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 1mg Sodium: 190mg Carbohydrates: 33g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 21g Protein: 3g