Spinach Salad with Apple, Cranberries, and Walnuts
Spinach Salad with Apples, Cranberries and Walnuts is baby spinach tossed with crisp apple, chewy dried cranberries, crunchy walnuts and a poppy seed dressing!
This Spinach Salad with Apples, Cranberries, and Walnuts is yet another spinach salad recipe, mostly because I bought a huge container of organic baby spinach during my last Costco run. It’s so reasonable, I can’t usually resist.
Spinach is so versatile, too. You can make a different salad every night of the week, like my Spinach Salad with Warm Maple Bacon Vinaigrette, or use it soups, pastas, or saute it with some garlic and white wine.
For me, the best salads combine ingredients and flavors that are chewy, crunchy, tart, and sweet. I normally like to throw in a salty element like feta cheese, but not this time.
The spinach, Granny Smith apple, dried cranberries, and toasted walnuts are tossed with a poppy seed dressing that has a little surprise mixed in…rice wine vinegar. Poppy seed dressing can be heavy and wilt your salad right down. The rice wine vinegar not only it lightens it up, it brightens it up with a burst of acidity.
I don’t use poppy seed dressing without rice wine vinegar. Try it and you’ll see why!
This apple spinach salad is appealing to everyone, adults and kids alike. It’s also festive for holidays. I made it for Christmas Eve and didn’t get a chance to photograph it in all the chaos, so I’m finally sharing it now.
I hope you’ll enjoy yet another tasty way to eat your fruits and veggies! 🙂
- 4-5 cups baby spinach
- 1 small Granny Smith apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup toasted walnuts pieces (un-toasted is fine as well)
- 2 tablespoons poppyseed dressing (I used Newman's Own)
- 1 tablespoon seasoned rice wine vinegar
- Place the spinach, apple, and dried cranberries in a large bowl.
- Place the walnut pieces in a small pan and cook over medium heat for about 8 minutes, or until they are golden and fragrant. Keep a close eye on them to keep them from burning. Place in a bowl and set aside to cool slightly.
- In a small bowl, combine the poppyseed dressing and rice wine vinegar with a whisk. Add the walnuts to the salad, followed by the dressing. Toss lightly and serve!