Hard Apple Cider “Beer” Bread with Maple Butter has a tangy apple flavor, the crispest crust ever, and sweet maple butter. This is homemade bread that you can make in minutes with only 5 ingredients!
Happy Monday! We’re starting off our week with one of my biggest weaknesses….homemade bread. I’d say homemade bread is right up there with coffee, chocolate, salted caramel, and anything Mexican for me. Normally I like to keep things pretty healthy, but I also believe in balance. If I deprive myself, I’m going to binge at some point, and that wouldn’t be pretty, would it? 😉
This bread is the closest thing that I’ve come up with for a Game Day recipe, and I can hardly believe it. I intended to much sooner, but better late than never! Truthfully, I was very excited for football season to start because it always brings a new season full of hope. Being a Raider fan hasn’t been easy the past several years, so trust me when I tell you I’ve really needed hope! Things are actually looking decent after winning the past 2 games, so yeah…I’m feeling hopeful. 🙂
Naturally I’ve digressed because I started talking football, so back to this bread!
I’ve been craving apples like nobody’s business lately…you’d think it was fall or something? And I’m normally a red wine kind of girl, but like I said….the apple thing. ?
Because of this “apple thing”, I’ve been drinking apple ale and hard apple cider on occasion. It’s been so hot, and they’re so refreshing. Long story short, I decided to make beer bread with hard apple cider instead, and to say I was ecstatic with the results is an understatement.
Beer bread is special because it has a great tangy flavor. The hard apple cider gives this bread a really tangy apple flavor — and we’re talking big apple flavor! I was really surprised how much the flavor came through, and it really helped satisfy my apple cravings. ?
The maple butter is the perfect thing to slather on this bread. The sweetness helps balance out the tang. The creamy butter atop a nice, warm slice of this bread is just heaven. Fall heaven.
This Hard Apple Cider “Beer” Bread is the easiest thing in the world to make, and takes only 5 ingredients (not counting the salt, because who counts that?). The bread is extra special due to that rustic, crispy crust — it’s just pure comfort food. It’s the perfect thing for Game Day served alongside some chili, pulled pork, ribs — you name it! It will be a sure fire hit. I mean, isn’t everyone impressed with homemade bread? And nobody needs to know how easy is it is. Shhhh……
That will just be our little secret. 🙂
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, and divided
- 12 ounce bottle hard apple cider (I used Angry Orchard)
- 8 tablespoons butter (1 stick), softened
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and grease a standard loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add the maple syrup, 3 tablespoons of the melted butter, the hard apple cider, and stir just until combined. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and spread evenly. Drizzle the remaining tablespoon of melted butter over the top, and bake on the middle rack of the oven for 45-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then remove from the pan and cool completely.
- Beat the 8 tablespoons softened butter with the maple syrup and pinch of salt until combined and place in a bowl. Allow to solidify at room temperature. Serve softened with the beer bread, and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from King Arthur Flour's Classic Beer Bread.