Pumpkin Graham Waffles with Chocolate Chips
Pumpkin Graham Waffles with Chocolate Chips are light and fluffy waffles that are packed with pumpkin flavor, soul warming spices, and chocolate chips. Top with whipped cream for the perfect fall breakfast!
Typically I go through life trying to be as organized as possible because I’m a slight control freak. I will make myself lists, write notes on my iPhone, or whatever it takes to keep things from slipping through the cracks. Before I go on vacation, I get my posts for the week done ahead of time so there’s no “dead air”, and I like to be 1-2 weeks ahead with my food photos so I’m not scrambling to take photos, edit them, and write the post in the same day. It can be a lot, so being organized really helps. The problem is, you can try to be as organized as possible, but life will sometimes throw you a curve ball — like a hard drive crashing without a backup (I’m not that organized, am I?!), or your blog going down for 2 days the same week the hard drive crashed. Besides being on the phone with GoDaddy off and on all day Saturday, I realized that I had to learn how to let go of things more to prevent myself from getting an ulcer. Needless to say, I’m so happy to be sharing a recipe with you today! 🙂
This blog may have had some dead air since September 12, but I was busy behind the scenes cooking and baking like a mad woman to stock pile more recipes before I start culinary school on the 30th! These waffles have been on my mind for a while now. I love graham crackers and using graham cracker crumbs in my baking, so I thought it would be fun to add them to pumpkin waffles. It was fun — mostly the part where I ate them!
The graham flavor is very subtle, especially when you like your pumpkin spiced up with cinnamon and pumpkin spice like I do. If you really want to taste the graham, decrease the amount of the spice and even omit the chocolate chips. But that’s the fun part, right? Whether you completely taste the graham crumbs or not, you’ll agree that these are light and fluffy and full of fall flavors!
These waffles have gotten my pumpkin cravings in full swing. I can’t wait for my first slice of pumpkin pie or to make another batch of pumpkin muffins. These waffles are a great way to celebrate my favorite time of year. Happy Fall!!
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs (such as Honey Maid)
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 cup low fat buttermilk
- 1 cup pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- ⅓ cup semi sweet mini chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, whisk together the graham crumbs, flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, buttermilk, pumpkin, and oil until well combined. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stirring just until incorporated. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Preheat a waffle iron according to manufacturer's instructions. Grease the waffle cavities with cooking spray. Fill the waffle cavities with the batter, repeating until all of the batter has been used. Serve warm with whipped cream or maple syrup. Enjoy!
Waffles freeze well! Place leftover waffles on a wire rack in the freezer. Once frozen, transfer to a zip top bag and store in the freezer. Pop in a toaster and enjoy!
Recipe by Flavor the Moments.