30-Minute Cheesy Mexican Rice Casserole
30-Minute Cheesy Mexican Rice Casserole is an easy Mexican chicken rice casserole that’s topped with cheese and comes together in one pot!
Hola! Hola because obviously there’s a skillet full of Mexican goodness in front of you. This 30-Minute Cheesy Mexican Rice Skillet is not only a 30-minute dinner, but it’s made all in one pot. And that’s muy bueno!
I will stop the Spanish now.
We’re not stopping with this 30-minute meal, however, because it’s 30-Minute Thursday! That means that you gain access to 9 other 30-minute meals by some of my blogging friends, which you can find at the bottom of this post. 🙂
30-Minute Cheesy Mexican Rice Skillet
I’ve been inspired to create a Mexican rice casserole since I saw my friend Ashley’s skillet mexican brown rice casserole last year, and I finally got around to making my own rendition a few weeks ago.
I adapted this recipe from my One Pot Mexican Black Bean Sweet Potato Quinoa, obviously subbing out the quinoa for rice, and using chicken instead of sweet potato.
The best part about this Mexican chicken rice casserole is that you can use any type of meat or go vegetarian. It’s completely versatile!
How to make Mexican rice casserole
This meal is so quick to prepare, and there’s barely any chopping.
To make this a true 30-minute meal, chop your onion and garlic and get them cooking while you cube your chicken breast.
Get the chicken cooking, and prep your other ingredients so that everything is ready to pop in the skillet to get that rice cooking about 10 minutes in.
The rice takes 20 minutes to cook, and once it’s done, fluff it up and serve.
Of course this dish is amazing on it’s own, but the cheese melted over the top takes this way over the top. And I loved serving it with plenty of chopped cilantro for freshness and flavor, and some lime wedges for that citrus pop.
This cheesy Mexican rice casserole is so easy and so delicious, and yeah — it only takes 30-minutes to make and there’s only one pot to wash!
You’re welcome. 🙂
Don’t forget to check out these other delicious 30-minute meals from these fabulous bloggers. Enjoy!
Baked Ham and Cheese Roll-Ups by Pumpkin ‘N Spice
30 Minute Tuscan White Bean and Kale Soup by Kristine’s Kitchen
One Pot Pizza Gnocchi Pasta by Savory Nothings
Skinny Cajun Shrimp Alfredo Pasta by Bake. Eat. Repeat.
Vegetable Noodle Stir Fry with Orange by Floating Kitchen
One Pot BBQ Bacon Cheeseburger Rice by The Recipe Rebel
Kale Pesto Pasta with Tofu by She Likes Food
Garlic Butter Monte Cristo Pull-Apart Sliders by Whole and Heavenly Oven
Shrimp and Vodka Penne Pasta by My Kitchen Craze
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast*
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 15 ounce can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken stock or water*
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn (thawed slightly if frozen)
- 1 cup grated Mexican blend cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, for serving
- lime wedges, for serving
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet or saute pan. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 3 minutes or until starting to soften.
- While the onion cooks, cut the chicken breast into 1" cubes and season with salt and pepper. Add to the skillet with the onion and saute 3-4 minute more, or until the onion has softened and the chicken has lost most of it's pink color. Add the spices, tomato paste, diced tomatoes and broth or water and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add the rice, beans, and corn and bring to a boil once more. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes or until the liquid has absorbed and the rice is done.
- Remove from heat and top with the grated cheese and chopped cilantro. Enjoy!
- Substitute the chicken breast with ground chicken, turkey, beef or omit and prepare it meatless!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 417Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 84mgSodium: 632mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 8gSugar: 6gProtein: 37g