Cheesy Mexican Rice Casserole
Cheesy Mexican Rice Casserole is an easy dinner recipe that the entire family will love! It comes together in one pot and it’s ready in 30 minutes for a delicious gluten-free dinner that’s so easy to make!
Hola! Hola because obviously there’s a skillet full of Mexican goodness in front of you. This Mexican Rice Casserole is not only a 30-minute dinner, but it’s made all in one pot. And that’s muy bueno!
I will stop the Spanish now.
I adapted this recipe from my Mexican Quinoa, obviously subbing out the quinoa for rice, and using chicken instead of sweet potato.
The best part about this recipe is that you can use any type of meat or go vegetarian. It’s completely versatile!
How to make Mexican rice casserole
This meal is so quick to prepare, and there’s barely any chopping.
To make this a true 30-minute meal, chop your onion and garlic and get them cooking while you cube your chicken breast.
Get the chicken cooking, and prep your other ingredients so that everything is ready to pop in the skillet to get that rice cooking about 10 minutes in.
The rice takes 20 minutes to cook, and once it’s done, fluff it up and serve.
Of course this dish is amazing on it’s own, but the cheese melted over the top takes this way over the top. And I loved serving it with plenty of chopped cilantro for freshness and flavor, and some lime wedges for that citrus pop.
This cheesy Mexican rice casserole is so easy and so delicious, and yeah — it only takes 30-minutes to make and there’s only one pot to wash!
You’re welcome. 🙂
More 30 minute dinner recipes you’ll love:
- Cheeseburger Rice by The Recipe Rebel
- Chickpea rice casserole
- Instant pot chicken and rice
- Crockpot chicken rice
30-Minute Cheesy Mexican Rice Skillet
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast*
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 15 ounce can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken stock or water*
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 15 ounce can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn thawed slightly if frozen
- 1 cup grated Mexican blend cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro for serving
- lime wedges for serving
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet or saute pan. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 3 minutes or until starting to soften.
- While the onion cooks, cut the chicken breast into 1" cubes and season with salt and pepper. Add to the skillet with the onion and saute 3-4 minute more, or until the onion has softened and the chicken has lost most of it’s pink color. Add the spices, tomato paste, diced tomatoes and broth or water and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add the rice, beans, and corn and bring to a boil once more. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes or until the liquid has absorbed and the rice is done.
- Remove from heat and top with the grated cheese and chopped cilantro. Enjoy!
- Substitute the chicken breast with ground chicken, turkey, beef or omit and prepare it meatless!
Nutrition is estimated using a food database and is only intended to be used as a guideline for informational purposes.