Crispy Smashed Potatoes
Crispy Smashed Potatoes are boiled, shaken in olive oil, then smashed and roasted to crispy perfection. They’re the ultimate side dish or appetizer!
Potatoes are one of our favorite side dishes. The men in my house love mashed potatoes most of all, but it really doesn’t matter to me whether they’re mashed, grilled, baked, roasted or fried.
Just give me all the potatoes!
These Crispy Smashed Baby Potatoes are one of my favorite ways to prepare potatoes. They’re addictively crispy and extremely hard to walk away from.
Why you’ll love this recipe:
- These smashed baby potatoes are fluffy on the inside and addictively crispy on the outside.
- They make a great gluten-free side dish or appetizer.
- The recipe may be changed up with your favorite potatoes, herbs or spices.
You only need 4 simple ingredients for these delicious smashed baby potatoes!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1.5 lbs. baby potatoes (red, gold or tri-color all work well)
- Olive oil
- Fresh or dried rosemary
- Garlic powder
How to make smashed roasted potatoes
There are a couple of extra steps involved in these crispy smashed potatoes, but it’s totally worth the extra steps!
Smashing the potatoes before roasting results in more surface area of potato, which means even more of the potato becomes crispy under the direct heat of the oven.
- Boil the potatoes. Place the potatoes in a large saucepan and fill with enough water to cover by 1″. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat, then remove the lid and simmer over medium heat until the tip of the knife is inserted easily into the potatoes. Drain the boiled baby potatoes well and blot dry.
- Shake the potatoes. Once dry, place the potatoes back into the sauce pan with the olive oil, rosemary, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Cover with the lid and shake vigorously until the potatoes are well coated with the oil mixture. Pour the potatoes onto a rimmed baking sheet in a single layer.
- Smash the potatoes. Smash the potatoes gently with a fork. Once smashed, I like to dab some of the remaining oil from the saucepan over the tops of the potatoes.
- Roast the potatoes. Roast the smashed baby potatoes at 425 degrees for 30 minutes until crisp and golden brown.
- Change up your crispy smashed potatoes with different herbs and seasonings, or serve with a dollop of sour cream!
- How long to boil baby potatoes depends on their size. Boiling them for 10-12 minutes is normally plenty of time for them become tender.
- You can determine how long to roast baby potatoes by how golden brown and crispy they are. Roast them for 30-45 minutes depending on the level of crispness you desire.
More potato recipes you’ll love:
- Air fryer baked potatoes
- Air fryer potato skins
- Air fryer potatoes
- Crock pot mashed potatoes
- Grilled potato salad
- Instant pot mashed potatoes
- Twice baked mashed potatoes
Did you try this recipe? If so, be sure to leave a review below and tag me @flavorthemoments on Facebook and Instagram
Crispy Smashed Baby Potatoes
- 1 1/2 pounds baby new potatoes
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper or to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and fill with enough water to cover by 1". Place the lid on the pot, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium, and simmer uncovered until the potatoes are fork tender, about 10-12 minutes. Drain well in a colander, then blot dry with a towel.
- Place the potatoes back in the pot and add the olive oil, rosemary, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Place the lid on and shake vigorously until the potatoes are completely covered with the olive oil.
- Pour the potatoes out onto the prepared baking sheet in a single layer and smash them down with a fork. Once smashed, I like to dab some of the remaining oil from the saucepan over the tops of the potatoes.
- Roast for 30-45 minutes or until the potatoes are crisp and golden brown. Enjoy!
- You can use any type of baby potatoes for this dish. Red, gold or purple are all great options.
- Change this recipe up with your favorite herbs or spices!
Nutrition is estimated using a food database and is only intended to be used as a guideline for informational purposes.
**This post was originally published in June 2013. The photos, recipe and text have been updated.
13 Comments on “Crispy Smashed Potatoes”
I looooove potatoes. Your kids are crazy for only liking them fried or mashed — I’ll take them any way you’re serving them. These potatoes sound amazing, I love the idea of a nice crispy outside and a fork tender middle.
My kids are crazy, right?! I’ll eat potatoes any which way, too.
I couldn’t stop eating these! They were just the way I like them, too. Thank you, Adri! I hope you enjoy them.
What a fun way to prepare potatoes – I love them too! haha PacMan. I used to love that game when I was a kid – I always wanted to play it when we went to the arcades on the boardwalk!
I played PacMan at the boardwalk arcades, too, but originally I played it on the Atari video game system. Man, am I old.
I so need to try these! Love my potatoes! 🙂
I love potatoes and this is such a great way to cook them Marcie. YUM! 🙂
The extra steps are worth it when they’re extra crispy!
Crispy smashed potatoes are the BEST!!! I haven’t made them in so long and now I’m questioning what I’ve been doing with my life 😉 These look terrific!!
I was questioning what I’ve been doing too because it’s been years since I made these! lol Thanks Katherine!
Love the flavours of rosemary and garlic! I have some baby potatoes on hand that I should use soon, and these would make the perfect side dish for dinner tonight!
Rosemary and garlic go so well together don’t they? Thanks Leanne!