Boiled Shaken and Smashed Roasted Baby Potatoes
That title is a doozy, isn’t it? So are these potatoes. 🙂 As the title insinuates, there’s a couple more steps involved in preparing these potatoes, but you can’t let that stop you from making them. They’re worth every crispy bite. These Boiled Shaken and Smashed Roasted Baby Potatoes are SO crispy because of the extra steps. The potatoes are boiled until fork tender, then they’re shaken up in the pot with olive oil, salt, and pepper, then they’re smashed down on the roasting pan. There’s more surface area to get nice and browned and crispy during roasting, so they’re like no roasted potatoes you’ve ever had before. I assure you, this is no boring potato side dish, and I can’t wait to make some more. 😀
I don’t know about you, but I really do love potatoes. I loved them mashed, twice baked, you name it. I love ’em roasted just as much, and the crispier the better. To me, they’re more fun when they’re tiny little baby potatoes in a colorful variety. I was inspired some time back by a recipe I saw, and I finally made it a reality with my own little spin, and was I thrilled. My kids normally don’t care for potatoes unless they’re fried or mashed, and these even got their seal of approval. Maybe it’s because once I smashed them they looked like little Pac-Men? Nah, Pac-Man was my generation. Maybe that’s why I like them. 😉
The funnest part about these potatoes is, once they’re fork tender, you get to shake them all up in pot you boiled them in with some olive oil, salt, and pepper, and whatever herbs or spices you’d like to cook them in. I went simple this time, but I know I would love them with Herbs de Provence, rosemary, or thyme. The options are endless. 🙂 These potatoes are great as a side dish for anything, and would be great to feed a crowd. Needless to say, everyone would be happy with these crispy little guys. 😀
- 1 pound baby new potatoes
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and fill with enough water to cover. Place the lid on the pot, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium, and simmer until the potatoes are fork tender, about 12-18 minutes. Drain in a colander.
- Place the drained potatoes back in the pot, and add the olive oil, salt, and pepper. Place the lid back on and shake vigorously so that the potatoes are completely covered with the olive oil. Pour the potatoes out onto the prepared baking sheet and smash them down with a fork. Roast the potatoes for about 30 minutes or until crispy and golden brown. Enjoy!
Inspired by Big Girls Small Kitchen's Shakin' Hash Browns.