Fresh Pineapple Pina Colada
Fresh Pineapple Pina Colada is made with fresh pineapple and contains only 5 ingredients. It’s creamy, delicious and guaranteed to take your taste buds on a tropical vacation!
I’ve got another Hawaiian inspired post for you today! This Fresh Pineapple Pina Colada is inspired by my recent trip to Maui. I could post tropical recipes all the way through the fall, I enjoyed my vacation so much!
We will see. 🙂
I’ve told you before that when it comes to cocktails, I’m typically a red wine drinker with the occasional beer or margarita. Mixed drinks cost a lot and like a good coffee drink, they’re never made the same way twice.
In Maui, however, I knew I was going to have a pina colada — lord knows I hadn’t had one since the late 80’s or early 90’s. Yes, I was drinking pina coladas when some of you were in diapers…or maybe not even born yet. I’m aging myself, I know, but that’s the way it is. 🙂
And this old lady knows what a good pina colada tastes like! Creamy, rich, with lots of pineapple flavor. The funny thing is, the ones I drank in Maui tasted like a smoothie because I couldn’t taste the rum. I watched the bartenders make them, and sure enough, there was rum, but it was light rum.
And possibly not enough of it.
When a few of us “complained” to a certain bartender that we couldn’t taste the rum, she recommended getting a regular pina colada with a dark rum topper, which I posted on Instagram. It was amazing with that dark rum flavor! It came with a hefty price tag because of that extra shot of rum, but at least we could finally taste it. 🙂
Pina coladas are normally made with cream of coconut, pineapple juice, ice, and rum. I had the feeling that it would taste just as great with full fat coconut milk….and fresh pineapple instead of just the juice. I added a few tablespoons of agave syrup as well, because the fresh pineapple isn’t as sweet as pineapple juice. Add ice, and it’s basically a smoothie, but then comes the rum. I chose dark rum for flavor, and it was just perfect.
This Fresh Pineapple Pina Colada is creamy, delicious, and so easy to make. Why spend $10 on one when you can make a batch at home for under $10? I guess if you’re on a tropical vacation you would, but when you’re at home longing for the tropics, this is the thing to do. No palm trees, maybe, but you can always close your eyes and imagine them.
It worked for me. 🙂
More cocktail recipes you’ll love:
Mojito by Gimme Some Oven
Did you try this recipe? If so, be sure to leave a review below and tag me @flavorthemoments on Facebook and Instagram
Fresh Pineapple Pina Colada
- 3 1/2 cups fresh pineapple chunks about 1 small pineapple
- 13.5 ounces full fat coconut milk*
- 3 tablespoons agave syrup or the sweetener of your choice
- 2 cups ice
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons dark rum*
- Place the pineapple, coconut milk, agave syrup, ice and rum in a blender. Process until smooth. Taste and add more sweetener or rum as desired.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
- Full fat coconut milk is best here as light coconut milk will make your drink less creamy and slightly watery.
- If you like your drinks sweeter, add a bit more agave or the sweetener of your choice.
- I like my cocktails a bit on the stronger side. If you like yours a bit more mild, try this recipe with 1/4 cup rum first and add more if necessary.
- Use pre-cut pineapple as a time saver!
Nutrition is estimated using a food database and is only intended to be used as a guideline for informational purposes.