Orange Sugared Cranberries
Orange Sugared Cranberries are tart and sweet with a pop of fresh orange flavor. They only take a few minutes of prep and 3 ingredients, and are perfect for the holidays!
Nothing could be more appropriate to post for the start of the holidays than these Orange Sugared Cranberries. I mean, what could be more merry and bright than these? These cranberries give Rudolph’s nose a run for it’s money…they’re SO bright red and shiny.
Truth be told I’d never made sugared cranberries before about 3 weeks ago. I was always in awe of them when I saw them around the Internet — they’re so festive and pretty to look at! I’m a huge fan of tart-sweet things, and I fell head over heels after one bite of these.
The best part about these besides the fact that they’re flipping delicious, is that they only take about 5 minutes of prep and 3 ingredients. During the hectic holidays it’s nice to have some recipes that don’t take much effort but will still dazzle the crowd, and these Orange Sugared Cranberries are just perfect for that.
The hardest part about these cranberries is waiting an entire hour for them to dry after dousing them in simple syrup. The simple syrup takes about 1-2 minutes on the stove top, then you drop your cranberries into the pot and stir until they’re coated completely.
See how they glisten?
I placed them on a wire rack to dry, then came the fun part…rolling them in sugar.
When I use cranberries, I almost always add orange juice or zest or both. Cranberry orange is just a magical combination, so I decided to add some fresh orange zest to my granulated sugar and stir it in. I smashed the zest in that sugar so that it would release all of it’s flavor, and I stirred it up really well. This orange sugar is out of this world! I had some leftover after rolling, which I used in whipped cream and baking.
I made these Orange Sugared Cranberries with a recipe in mind, and loved them so much I’ve already incorporated them into another one. I see myself making these all holiday season long because there are so many possibilities. Cocktails, desserts, cheese plates, or just plain eating.
I promise…you’re gonna love these, and they could put Rudolph out of a job. 🙂
Things to do with your Orange Sugared Cranberries besides pop them like candy:
- 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
- ½ cup water
- 8 ounce bag fresh cranberries, rinsed and picked through
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- Place a large wire rack over a baking sheet and set aside.
- Place ½ cup of the granulated sugar in a saucepan with the water. Heat over medium low until the sugar dissolves. Add the cranberries and stir until well coated, and using a slotted spoon, place on the wire rack. Let stand 1 hour until dried.
- Place the remaining ½ cup granulated sugar in a medium bowl and toss with the orange zest until thoroughly combined. Roll the cranberries in the sugar until well coated and place back on the wire rack and let stand for another hour or so at room temperature to dry.
- Store the cranberries at room temperature loosely covered for 2-3 days -- if you place in an airtight container the sugar will dissolve. Enjoy!
You may also have some orange sugar leftover, which is delicious in whipped cream or baking recipes.
Recipe by Flavor the Moments.