Pesto Gnocchi with Sausage, Asparagus, and Mushrooms
Pesto Gnocchi with Sausage, Asparagus, and Mushrooms is an easy meal packed with flavor and it’s on the table in 30 minutes!
It’s September…it really is. I needed to say that out loud (or type it out loud?) so I can really believe it. Halloween and the holidays really are things we need to think about…it’s official. Since all of the kids are pretty much back in school now, we officially need more 30 minute meals too, which is where this Pesto Gnocchi with Sausage, Asparagus, and Mushrooms comes in.
It’s 30 Minute Thursday too, which means you gain access to even more 30 minute meals than my recipe! Scroll down to check out the other delicious recipes by some of my favorite bloggers. We’ve got you covered! 🙂
I feel like I’ve been inundating all of you with pesto recipes, but I’ve discovered that you love it as much as I do. My Grilled Lemon Pesto Chicken Kebabs were a big hit, right along with my Pesto Zoodles with Tomatoes and Mozzarella. I’m on the pesto train and I never want to get off — how about you??
My husband and I are huge pesto lovers but the kids have been a little meh about it in the past. That changed with this gnocchi. I’ve mentioned before that my kids aren’t big pasta fanatics, which makes me wonder who’s kids they really are. At any rate, I remembered that they liked gnocchi some time back and for whatever reason I never made it again. I decided to revisit good old packaged gnocchi and give it a big dose of pesto sauce. I had no idea if my boys would go for it but for gosh sakes they were going to try it.
I knew if I added sausage the odds of the kids eating it would go up a good 50%, and I tossed in some veggies that they actually like too. I didn’t get one complaint out of this dish and they ate the leftovers the next day! That’s a major win, which means I get to add another 30 minute meal to my dinner rotation. 🙂
If your family doesn’t like sausage, you can easily swap it out with chicken, ground turkey, or even go meatless. As for the veggies, anything goes! This would be delicious with broccoli, cherry tomatoes, bell peppers, or wilted kale or spinach. I love all the options that come along with this dish.
You can definitely get this meal made in 30 minutes without having the pesto sauce made in advance, but you’ll be scrambling a bit if you don’t make it often. I’ve written up this recipe to include pesto sauce that’s already been made, because your life will be so much smoother that way. I love to make a batch a day or two in advance and even freeze it often to help myself out during the week. There’s always store bought pesto sauce too if you’re in a bind. For pesto sauce inspiration, see my Spinach Walnut Pesto and Lemon Pesto Sauce recipes.
This Pesto Gnocchi with Sausage, Asparagus, and Mushrooms is a quick and easy meal that will be on the table in 30 minutes and it’s something the whole family will love! Who can resist soft, fluffy pillows of gnocchi with flavorful pesto, salty sausage, and sauteed veggies?
Certainly not this girl. 🙂
Don’t forget to check out the other wonderful 30 Minute Meals below!
Honey Garlic Salmon Quinoa Bowl from Pumpkin ‘N Spice
Maple Ginger Beef from The Recipe Rebel
One Pot Pea and Corn Pasta from Savory Nothings
Grilled Romaine Salad with Roasted Chickpeas and Tomatoes from Floating Kitchen
Baked Pork Chops with a Cinnamon Glaze from Bake.Eat.Repeat.
- (2) 12 ounce packages gnocchi (I used DeLallo Gluten Free potato gnocchi)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. mild Italian chicken sausage, casings removed (or use your favorite!)
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- ¾ lb. asparagus spears, tough ends removed and cut into 1" pieces
- ¼ cup - 6 tablespoons pesto sauce*
- Freshly grated parmesan, for serving
- Heat a pot of water for the gnocchi and cook according to package instructions. Drain well.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the sausage and break up with the back of a wooden spoon. Add the mushrooms and cook for about 5 minutes. Add the asparagus and cook 2 minutes longer or until the sausage is fully cooked. Turn the heat down to low and add the gnocchi and ¼ cup of the pesto sauce, stirring gently to combine. Add up to 2 more tablespoons of pesto sauce until the gnocchi is coated well. Serve with grated parmesan and enjoy!
This meal is customizable, so you can substitute the sausage with chicken, ground turkey, and any of your favorite veggies!
The gnocchi package states that 12 ounces serves 2 people, but we easily got 3-4 servings out of each package.
Recipe by Flavor the Moments.