Easy Oven Roasted Cherry Tomatoes
Easy Oven Roasted Cherry Tomatoes are sweet, tangy and completely addictive! They’re so flavorful and perfect for elevating appetizers, sandwiches, or pasta!
I’ve been going tomato crazy lately. My garden is exploding with cherry tomatoes, which means I’m finding new ways to use them. These Oven Roasted Cherry Tomatoes are my latest obsession, and if you like sun dried tomatoes, you’re going to love these!
The story behind these oven roasted cherry tomatoes is kind of funny. I’ve been roasting tomatoes like this for years, and last year I meant to share them with you but never got the photos quite right and scrapped it.
This year I roasted and photographed 3 different batches before I finally settled on these. It was so bad that my youngest son asked me, “Why do you keep taking pictures of tomatoes?”
I seriously had a problem.
The problem was that this crazy tomato lady wanted a shot before they were roasted, then afterward, which is 2.5 hours later. Then the lighting wasn’t in my favor, or I over-roasted them a bit and they weren’t photogenic enough.
They were still good enough to eat right off the sheet pan, but gosh, they have to look good for photos.
Here are the before and after shots:
So notice how the edges are dried out and the insides are still on the juicy side? That’s exactly how slow roasted cherry tomatoes should be.
You’re looking at 2 – 2.5 hours in a 250 degree oven, and they keep in an air tight container in the fridge toss in some olive oil to preserve them for a good week or two.
Maybe you’re wondering why you should oven roast your cherry tomatoes right now when they’re in season and at their peak of flavor? Quite possibly you have a garden that’s producing a large amount of cherry tomatoes (or regular tomatoes for that matter), so oven roasting them is a great way to use them up.
My favorite reason is just because they’re the greatest tasting tomatoes ever. Roasting intensifies them and gives them a big, concentrated tomato flavor that will elevate any dish you use them in.
You just have to try this oven roasted cherry tomato recipe to understand. And once you try it, there’s just no going back. 🙂
More cherry tomato recipes:
Pasta with burst cherry tomatoes from NYT Cooking
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, stemmed and halved (your favorite variety)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees.
- Place the cherry tomatoes on a large rimmed baking sheet and toss with the olive oil, basil, salt, and pepper. Turn each tomato top side up and spread in a single layer. Roast for 2 - 2.5 hours or until the edges are dried but the insides are still juicy, checking for doneness after 2 hours.
- Cool and place in an air tight container, tossing with the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil to preserve. Store in the fridge for 1-2 weeks.
- Change up these tomatoes with your favorite herbs.
- Store cherry tomatoes in an air tight container with additional olive oil and use within 2 weeks.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 74Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 78mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 1g
Nutrition information is mean to be an estimate only. The numbers will vary based on the quantity consumed, brands used and substitutions that are made.