Strawberry Lemon Drop
Strawberry Lemon Drop is a refreshing cocktail with fresh pureed strawberries, lemon juice, and vodka. Dip the rim of your glass in sugar and your drink is complete!
When I was younger, there were several cocktails that I really liked. Margaritas were always #1, followed closely by cosmopolitans and lemon drops. There was a restaurant/bar nearby that I liked to go to that had the best lemon drop cocktail ever. It had the perfect amount of lemon juice and sweetness, yet it was still on the strong side. It was just the way I liked it, and it was made perfectly every.single.time.
I’m not really a cocktail drinker anymore because quite honestly, they’re very expensive and you just don’t know how they’re going to be from one place to the other. It’s kind of like when you go to Starbuck’s and place your order for your “usual”, whatever it may be, and you never get it the same way even if you go to the same Starbuck’s all the time. Every barista is different, and so is every bartender. Sometimes you just gotta take matters into your own hands.
I’ve been really taken by all of the fruity cocktails I see on so many great blogs, and it’s inspiring. I had vodka in the house, some fresh strawberries and lemon, and thought why not make my own lemon drop just the way I used to like it, and it won’t cost $10 a drink! Plus I got to have fun playing bartender for a little while, and I’ve secretly always wanted to be one. 😉
This Strawberry Lemon Drop couldn’t be easier. Just puree your strawberries in a blender, strain them through a fine mesh strainer to remove the seeds, and squeeze some fresh lemon juice. I don’t have fancy shakers or martini glasses, but I ended up with a drink that I’d be happy with even if I had to pay $10 for it. The refreshing mix of fresh strawberries with lemon juice, some vodka and a splash of Cointreau, or triple sec, if you’d rather, is the perfect spring/summer drink. And don’t forget that sugared rim — it’s not a true lemon drop if you do. 🙂
Who wouldn’t be happy with this pretty pinkish red drink in front of them with the sparkly, sugared rim and sunny lemon slice? It’s just too cheery to pass up.
If you’re disenchanted with the subpar cocktails you shell out the big bucks for, take matters into your own hands, too! Just a few simple ingredients lead you to one fresh, delicious cocktail that’ll be a guaranteed hit at just about any celebration. 🙂
And don’t forget there’s a giveaway for a $500 Amazon gift card going on here!
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup vodka
- ¼ cup simple syrup
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons pureed fresh strawberries, strained through a fine mesh strainer*
- ½ teaspoon Cointreau or triple sec (I used Cointreu)
- granulated sugar for the rim of the glasses
- Place the sugar and water in a small saucepan and heat over low heat until the sugar melts. Heat over medium low until heated through, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and cool completely.
- Place some granulated sugar on a small plate. Wet the rim of the glasses with water and dip them in the sugar. Set aside.
- Place the vodka, simple syrup, lemon juice, strawberry puree, and Cointreau or triple sec in a small pitcher or large measuring cup and whisk to combine. Add ice and stir. Alternately, you can use a cocktail shaker.
- Pour the cocktail into the glasses, serve, and enjoy!
Leftover simple syrup may be stored in an air tight container in the fridge.
The cocktail is still a bit on the strong side with the simple syrup, but with the sugared rim, it's just perfect.
Cointreau is optional, but it adds a nice depth of flavor. Plus it's great in margaritas, too!
Recipe by Flavor the Moments.