Tropical Kale Smoothie
Tropical Kale Smoothie is a creamy, healthy vegan smoothie with no refined sugar. It’s packed with kale and is bursting with tropical flavors!
I first published this Kale Smoothie on January 5, 2015, before I’d fully embraced green smoothies. It took me forever to come around, because despite loving greens, I just couldn’t wrap my head around adding them to smoothies.
The original recipe for this smoothie was rather non-committal — my “green” smoothie was more yellow green — and I’ve included an old photo for fun.
What’s really humorous is that in my original post I claimed that I would probably make this Kale Smoothie even greener down the road.
Now this is a green smoothie, and it completely reflects the way I love my smoothies now. The best part is that my kids love them as much as I do.
I’m a big lover of kale, and have a lot growing in my garden. This smoothie is a great place to use it up because it includes a whopping 2 cups of kale.
I can barely contain my excitement when I see my kids guzzling their smoothies down — they’re getting a whole serving of greens!
I know a lot of people don’t like kale because they find it bitter, but with the ripe banana, mango and pineapple, the bitterness is camouflaged with sweet tropical flavor.
The lime juice adds a nice pop of citrus and brightens the flavors right up, and balances everything out perfectly.
Kale Smoothie Notes:
- I used lacinto kale in this recipe, but you can also use baby kale, which has a more mild flavor.
- I used refrigerated coconut milk because it’s lower in fat, but you can certainly used canned for an even creamier smoothie.
- If you’d rather use fresh fruit instead of frozen, simply add a cup or so of ice for a frostier smoothie.
If you’d like to see more of my videos, you can subscribe here on YouTube!
More smoothie recipes you’ll love:
Strawberry banana smoothie by Gimme Some Oven
- 1 1/4 cups coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 large banana, frozen, and cut into chunks
- 1 cup frozen pineapple chunks
- 1 cup frozen mango chunks
- 2 cup loosely packed baby kale leaves
- Place all ingredients in a blender and mix until smooth. Serve immediately and enjoy!
- I used refrigerated low fat coconut milk, but you may also use canned.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 247Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 3gSodium: 59mgCarbohydrates: 55gFiber: 5gSugar: 41gProtein: 3g