Golden Beet, Orange, and Pomegranate Salad is fresh, flavorful salad tossed in a white balsamic orange vinaigrette. Healthy never tasted so good!
I’m still in the midst of a major health kick, are you? I hope so, because this salad will keep you going that way full throttle. Not only is this salad pretty to look at, but it tastes even better. I would choose this over those red velvet cupcakes I posted yesterday, too. #nolie
This salad has every.single.component that I need to deem a salad really, truly satisfying. Let me count the ways:
1. Savory: red onions and a blend of greens including spinach and kale.
2. Sweet: roasted golden beets, and juicy orange.
3. Salty: feta cheese, and salted pumpkin seeds.
4. Tart: pomegranate
5. Tangy: white balsamic orange vinaigrette. (oh yum)
6. Crunchy: toasted walnuts and pumpkin seeds!
7. Pretty: we do eat with our eyes, and the colors here are eye-popping!
I chose a blend of greens for this salad, and it had to include baby kale because I cannot get enough. I love the bitterness in kale, but if you aren’t really into that, baby kale is the perfect thing. It’s milder, but still gives you a nice little bite of bitter without overdoing it. And spinach is just always fabulous!
Are you a beet fan? While I do like purple beets, I have to be in the mood for them. Golden beets, now I can eat those guys every day. I bought a bunch and roasted them in the oven wrapped in foil for about an hour, and stored them in the fridge. They’re so sweet, and I’ve been tossing them into any and all salads I make, including grain salads like farro and quinoa.
Normally I go for chewy dried cranberries for tartness, but pomegranates are perfect in that area, and they’re gorgeous. They’re like winter’s crown jewels. They make everything better, and those arils have a nice little crunch factor.
I’m currently addicted to this salad, so I don’t know when you’ll see a new one. Maybe in the spring? Time will tell. This one is just too pretty to give up. And way too good. 🙂
- 2.5 ounces mixed greens (I used Earthbound Farms Zen greens with baby kale and spinach)
- 1 golden beet, roasted, peeled, and cut into mini triangles
- 1 cup orange segments
- ⅓ cup pomegranate arils
- ⅓ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ⅓ cup walnut pieces, toasted*
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red onion
- ¼ cup toasted, salted pumpkin seeds
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1½ tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1½ teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Place the greens, beets, oranges, pomegranate, feta cheese, walnuts, onion, and pumpkin seeds in a large bowl.
- Place the orange juice, vinegar, honey, dijon, and lemon juice in a small bowl and whisk till combined. Whisk in the extra virgin olive oil, and salt and pepper, to taste.
- Toss the salad gently with enough dressing to coat, and serve immediately. Enjoy!
*Toast walnuts in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet in a 350 degree oven for 8-10 minutes or until fragrant.
Recipe by Flavor the Moments.