Grilled Veggie Flatbread Pizza with Pesto
Grilled Veggie Flatbread Pizza with Pesto is whole grain naan topped with pesto, fresh mozzarella, and plenty of veggies. It’s an easy, delicious healthy pizza option!
That Spinach Walnut Pesto I posted last week has been getting a lot of use. No lie, the past few weeks I’ve made 3 batches and used it in pastas, farro salads, and quite obviously — pizza. 😃
As far as pizza goes, I’m all for a meat loaded pie from time to time, but my favorite is veggie pizza with pesto sauce. There’s just something about it that gets me every time. And this grilled flat bread pizza? It was about the best thing ever.
I love when a pizza crust is nice and crispy on the bottom, and that’s exactly what happens when you grill naan flatbread. The bottom gets so crispy very quickly — we’re talking perfection in only 3-4 minutes.
I think pretty much everything is better is grilled, and I use mine year round. In the warmer months you can’t beat it, because who wants a hot oven on in the house? And while I love the smokiness that the grill lends my food, I secretly love it the most because it results in fewer dishes. I may love to cook, but I hate cleaning up. 😃
I’ve told you before that I like to roast or grill a variety of veggies on any given day and store them in the fridge to use them a variety of ways during the week. I’d grilled my asparagus and corn, and had fava beans I’d cooked according to my How To Cook Fava Beans post. I also had some pesto sauce waiting in the wings for just such a pizza occasion.
The only thing I hadn’t cooked was the mushrooms, and I just gave them a flash sauté in a skillet with some olive oil to soften them up a bit. You can shave them thin or slice them a little thicker and pop them on raw, too. You get to be the judge of what you want on your pizza and whether you want your ingredients to be roasted, grilled, or raw.
Of course frozen, thawed veggies would be fine to use here too, especially if you’re short on time and there are no cooked veggies in sight. The point is, you can make this as easy on yourself as possible. All of these veggies aren’t in season all the time, so by all means use whatever you have on hand! And what would also be easy is grilling up those veggies just before you grill your pizzas! Make your grill your one stop shop. 😃
It’s always exciting to have pizza for dinner, and it’s even more exciting when you grill it. And when it doesn’t take you hours to make it with minimal dishes, that’s really the best. This is a simple meal with anything but simple flavors, so what are you waiting for?
Your grill awaits. 🙂
Grilled Veggie Flatbread Pizza with Pesto
Grilled Veggie Flatbread Pizza is whole grain naan topped with pesto, fresh mozzarella, and plenty of veggies. It’s an easy, delicious healthy pizza option!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 16 ounces mushrooms, stemmed, and sliced
- 1/2 cup fava beans, shelled or substitute with fresh or frozen peas, thawed slightly if frozen
- 12 stalks asparagus
- 1 ear of corn, husk removed, or 1 cup of frozen corn (thawed if frozen)
- 4 whole grain naan flatbreads (I used Stonefire brand)
- 1/2 cup spinach walnut pesto or your favorite store bought brand
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, cut into about 12 slices
Prepare the mushrooms:
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, along with some salt and pepper to taste, and saute until the liquid has evaporated, about 4-5 minutes. If using frozen peas and corn, add to the mushrooms and cook during the last 2 minutes of cooking time.
Prepare the fava beans:
- Fill a small saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Add about a teaspoon of salt to the water and add the fava beans. Turn down the heat and simmer at a gentle boil for 2 minutes. Place in a colander and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process; drain. Squeeze gently from the outer skin and set aside.
Prepare the asparagus and corn:
- Preheat the grill to medium. Toss the asparagus with the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place on the preheated grill, along with the ear of corn if using fresh. Cook the asparagus about 4-6 minutes, until crisp tender. Cook the corn about 10 minutes, turning every 2 minutes or so. When the corn is cool enough to handle, cut from the cob.
Assemble the pizzas:
- Place the flatbreads on a baking sheet. Top each with about 2 tablespoons of pesto sauce, 3 slices of fresh mozzarella, and divide the veggies evenly between them. Grill 3-4 minutes or until the bottom is crisp and the cheese has melted. Serve immediately and enjoy!
For tips on cooking fava beans, see my post How To Cook Fava Beans.
The pesto sauce and veggies can be made in advance and stored in the fridge until ready to use.
You can customize these pizzas any way you like, using whatever veggies you have on hand.