I don’t know about you, but I’ve really gotten into the no bake desserts lately. Obviously when it’s hot, most of us don’t want to crank up the oven and melt the house down. I get cranky when I’m hot, too….I think I told you that before. 😀 Aside from keeping the house cooler, no bake desserts are a breeze to make. These No Bake Nutella Oatmeal Cookies are so simple to put together, but that’s not what’s going to keep you making them time and time again. These cookies are full of delicious chocolate hazelnut flavor with a hint of espresso, and they’ve got a chewy texture from the oats. If that’s not enough, these cookies are also gluten-free. Now that’s a nice no bake cookie! 🙂
I have a few family members that are following a gluten-free diet, and honestly, I figure I can use less gluten in my life from time to time, so I enjoy making and eating gluten-free dishes. Gluten-free doesn’t mean the food isn’t delicious by any means, and these cookies are living proof. I mean, can’t you tell how rich and chocolatey they are just by looking at them? The chocolate sprinkles don’t hurt either. 🙂
I made my No Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies for my family before and they loved them, so instead of peanut butter, I went for Nutella this time so that I could put a new spin on them. Being a food blogger, I don’t make the same dish twice all that often because I’m always looking for something new to post. It certainly does keep things exciting. 😉
To make these cookies completely gluten-free, you need to use gluten-free oats. I never have quick oats on hand, so I used my old fashioned rolled oats and pulsed them up a bit in the food processor. I’ve made these cookies without pulsing the old fashioned oats at all, and the cookies are just a bit chewier. If you like that sort of thing, then you can save a step. 🙂
Next time you want a no bake treat, give these cookies a whirl. They’re fast, flavorful, and they’ll satisfy the biggest chocolate cravings. Here’s to no bake cookies! 😆
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup milk (I used non-fat)
- ½ teaspoon instant espresso
- pinch sea salt
- ½ cup Nutella chocolate hazelnut spread
- 1½ cups quick oats (or coarsely pulse old fashioned oats in food processor)
- Chocolate sprinkles or mini chocolate chips, for garnish
- Add the butter, sugar, milk, espresso powder, and pinch of salt to a small sauce pan and stir. Bring to a rolling boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally, about 3-4 minutes. Once the mixture has reached a rolling boil, boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Place the Nutella in heatproof bowl and heat in the microwave until smooth, in 30 second intervals. Add the Nutella to the sugar-milk mixture and stir until smooth. Add the oats, stirring until the oats are completely coated with the chocolate mixture.
- Drop the cookies by heaping tablespoonfuls onto a baking sheet lined with waxed paper or parchment and press down slightly with the back of a fork. Sprinkle the cookies with the sprinkles or chocolate chips and press gently. Leave out at room temperature until set, about 30 minutes.
You must use gluten-free oats to ensure that these are 100% gluten-free.
Recipe adapted from Flavor the Moments' No-Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies.