Port Cranberry Pear Sauce
Port Cranberry Pear Sauce is a tangy, homemade cranberry sauce with the flavors of orange, cinnamon, and port wine. This takes cranberry sauce to a completely new level of deliciousness, and it’s a great side dish on any holiday table.
I’m in the throes of Thanksgiving at my house, trying out new recipes ahead of time to make sure that they’ll be worthy of The Big Day. Last year I strayed from a few of Thanksgiving staples like my Sweet Potato Casserole and Freshest Green Bean Casserole, and I won’t make that same mistake because I missed them dearly. What I will do, however, is tweak flavors just a bit to make them different…yet they’ll still be pretty much the same. I don’t want any riots at the table come Thanksgiving day. 🙂
My Cranberry Orange Sauce is getting a bit of an overhaul here with the special flavor of port wine. I’m not a fan of drinking port at all — it’s too sweet for me. BUT cooking with it is an entirely different story. It adds a wonderful depth of flavor like wine would, but even deeper and more complex. Add sweet port wine to tangy cranberries and you’ve got a match made in Thanksgiving heaven.
I got the idea to do this from cooking school…surprised? If you followed along with my cooking school posts, one week I made a panna cotta with cranberry chutney and I was smitten with the whole dessert. The cranberries had port wine, of course, and it’s something I’ve never forgotten. I’ll go so far as to say I’ve had dreams about it. That’s what good food does to a person. 😉
I added pears because I had some and I may as well go for broke on this cranberry sauce. I personally love the cranberry-pear combination, but you can add the pears or not, because this sauce is great either way.
This Port Cranberry Pear Sauce will be the perfect side for your holiday table, and you’ve got to have enough for The Day After sandwiches! To me, the sandwiches are one of the things I look forward to most…with plenty of my homemade cranberry sauce, of course. 🙂
Get a jump on your holiday shopping by entering for a chance to win a $250 Amazon Gift Card! Click here to enter.
More cranberry love for you:
Apple Cranberry Pie Bars by Flavor the Moments
Cranberry Bliss Bars by Recipe Girl
Fresh Cranberry Scones by Sweet Pea’s Kitchen
- 12 ounces fresh cranberries, rinsed and picked through
- 2 medium pears, peeled, cored, and chopped into small dice (I used Bartlett pears)
- ¾ - 1 cup of sugar*
- ½ cup fresh orange juice*
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- ½ cup port wine
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Place the sugar, orange juice, zest, port wine, and ground cinnamon in medium sauce pan. Cook over medium heat and bring to a boil, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Add the cranberries and pear, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat slightly and simmer until the cranberries pop and the mixture thickens, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and add the vanilla. Cool completely and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator overnight before serving. Enjoy!
*I used ¾ cup of sugar as I don't like my cranberry sauce too sweet. If you like it sweeter, add another ¼ cup.
*No orange juice? No problem -- simply substitute with water.
Recipe by Flavor the Moments.