Ok, I’ll admit it. I’m a red velvet fanatic. I’ve posted several red velvet recipes, like my Red Velvet Cupcakes, Red Velvet Black and White Cookies, and Red Velvet Cream Cheese Brownies. Obviously I didn’t stop there, and I still have plenty more variations in my head, so I won’t be stopping here. 😉 I’ve made a red velvet dessert the past two years for a friend’s 4th of July party, so it’s just become tradition for me. I loved the red velvet cream cheese brownies I made back in February so much, I decided to make these Red Velvet White Chocolate Cream Cheese Brownies with M&M’s. They have a bit of a different spin with the white chocolate, and they’re full of patriotic pizzazz. These brownies dazzle as much or more as a sparkler. 🙂
I claim that this red velvet brownie dazzles, and it does. Not just in appearance, but in taste. I’m a big brownie person, and as I’ve said, a big red velvet lover. This brownie brings my two favorites together for a moist, decadent, and fudgy brownie with big red velvet flavor. That’s no easy task, but this brownie delivers. 😀
Since red velvet cupcakes always have that luscious cream cheese frosting, it only makes sense that these brownies need some cream cheese action, too. It’s just in the form of a swirl, with some white chocolate for a slightly different flavor. I don’t know how many times I watched Cupcake Wars on the Food Network and somebody mentioned White Chocolate Cream Cheese frosting, and my mouth watered just thinking about it. I finally made it happen, and it’s delicious!
As usual, I ran down the candy isle at the store “just to look”. I saw red, white, and blue M&M’s, and I had to get them. I knew full well that I’d be making some kind of 4th of July treat, and they were the perfect topping for these brownies.
These are the perfect dessert for your barbecue, picnic, or party. They’re so festive ad fun, with the taste to back it up and then some! This Fourth of July, these brownies could easily be more memorable than the fireworks. 😉
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon red food coloring
- ¾ teaspoon white vinegar (I used white balsamic because that's what I had!)
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 ounces ⅓ less fat Neufchatel cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup white chocolate chips, melted*
- ½ cup chocolate chips or M&M's
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8x8" baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs lightly. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the butter and sugar together. Add the vanilla, cocoa powder, salt, food coloring, and white vinegar in separately and in order, whisking after each addition until incorporated. Whisk in the eggs, then fold in the flour. Reserve 4 tablespoons of the brownie batter, and pour the rest into the prepared baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar, egg yolk, and vanilla until smooth. Add the melted and slightly cooled white chocolate and whisk just until combined.
- Spoon the filling over the brownie batter in large dollops. Spoon the reserved brownie batter over the top of the cream cheese filling. Using a knife, swirl the cream cheese and brownie batter together in a circular motion to combine the layers. Top with the M&M's. Bake on the center rack of your oven for 28-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack before cutting into squares. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Recipe adapted from Flavor the Moments Red Velvet Cream Cheese Brownies via Sally's Baking Addiction