Tropi-Kale Green Smoothie is a creamy vegan smoothie packed with kale and tropical flavor!
I first published this Tropi-Kale Green Smoothie on January 5, 2015, before I’d fully embraced green smoothies. It took me forever to come around, because despite loving greens, I just couldn’t wrap my head around adding them to smoothies.
The original recipe for this smoothie was rather non-committal — my “green” smoothie was more yellow green — and I’ve included an old photo for fun.
What’s really humorous is that in my original post I claimed that I would probably make this Tropi-Kale Green Smoothie even greener down the road.
Now this is a green smoothie, and it completely reflects the way I love my smoothies now. The best part is that my kids love them as much as I do.
I’m a big lover of kale, and have a lot growing in my garden. This smoothie is a great place to use it up because it includes a whopping 2 cups of kale.
I can barely contain my excitement when I see my kids guzzling their smoothies down — they’re getting a whole serving of greens!
I know a lot of people don’t like kale because they find it bitter, but with the ripe banana, mango, and pineapple, the bitterness is camouflaged with sweet tropical flavor.
The lime juice adds a nice pop of citrus and brightens the flavors right up, and balances everything out perfectly.
Tropi-Kale Green Smoothie Notes:
- I used lacinto kale in this recipe, but you can also use baby kale, which has a more mild flavor.
- I love agave syrup in smoothies for it’s neutral flavor, but you can use your favorite sweetener.
- I used refrigerated coconut milk because it’s lower in fat, but you can certainly used canned for an even creamier smoothie.
- If you’d rather use fresh fruit instead of frozen, simply add a cup or so of ice for a frostier smoothie.
If you’d like to see more of my videos, you can subscribe here on YouTube!
- 1¼ cup coconut milk*
- 2 tablespoons agave syrup or your favorite sweetener*
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 large banana, frozen, and cut into chunks
- 1 cup frozen pineapple chunks
- 1 cup frozen mango chunks
- 2 cup loosely packed baby kale leaves
- Place all ingredients in a blender and mix until smooth. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Recipe by Flavor the Moments