Barbecue Rubbed Grilled Chicken
Barbecue Rubbed Grilled Chicken is chicken rubbed generously with a homemade sweet-spicy-smokey barbecue rub that makes one flavorful grilled chicken dish. You’ll never need to buy a store bought spice rub again.
One of the best things I’ve ever learned how to do is grill. I used to leave it to my husband because grilling was his thing and indoor cooking was mine. I was never one to mess with charcoal, lighter fluid, etc., so when we got a gas grill soon after moving into our first house, I thought to myself, maybe I really can do this grilling thing. 🙂
Some time went by and I still hadn’t tried to grill. When my husband’s work schedule changed and he was getting home later and later, I grew weary of waiting for him to get home and grill the meat, and figured I needed to take matters into my own hands. He gave me a mini lesson, and I was good to go. I mean, how hard can it be when the gas grill has a temperature gauge on it? I just keep the temperature around 350 degrees, which is the same as cooking the chicken in an indoor grill pan at medium heat or in the oven at 350. I’d choose grilling outdoors any day, because there are no dirty pans involved. Minimal clean-up is always a bonus in my book.
This rub came to be a few weeks ago when I’d purchased a package of chicken with 2 skin-on, bone-in breasts and 4 legs. I was pressed for time, and figured I should use the grill…it was a beautiful day, after all. I thought I’d experiment with a barbecue rub because it’s faster than making sauce, and I started throwing spices together. I rubbed the chicken all over the outside, and under the skin on the breasts, and left it out at room temperature for one hour to “marinate” if you will. I grilled the chicken, and it was a huge hit with everyone. I had half of the rub left and made some more chicken so I could share it here. Halfway through my photo shoot, my husband grabbed a chicken leg and started eating it! Actually, the photos look better with only 3 legs on the plate, so I have him to thank for making my photos look more aesthetically pleasing (once I did a little rearranging, that is. 😉
Grilling season is almost here, so throw some of this barbecue rub together and get your grill on! And remember, girls can grill, too. 🙂
- (1) 3.5 lb. whole chicken, cut into pieces, or chicken fryer
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Barbecue spice rub:
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Place the chili powder, smoked paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, brown sugar, cayenne pepper, and salt in a small bowl and stir to combine. Remove 2 tablespoons of the rub and store the remaining rub in an airtight container.
- Season the chicken with kosher salt before applying the rub. Rub the spice rub liberally onto the chicken pieces until the chicken is completely coated, and also rub underneath the skin on the breasts. Leave out at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Preheat the grill. Turn down to heat to 350 degrees. Brush the grill grates with the canola oil to prevent the chicken from sticking. Place the chicken pieces on the grill, turning the pieces every 8 minutes until done, about 24-30 minutes, or until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the breast registers 160 degrees. Chicken legs are done when the meat begins to pull away from the bones. Remove from heat and cover loosely with foil to rest for a minimum of 10 minutes. Enjoy!
- You can use an indoor grill pan and cook the chicken over medium heat, or cook in a 350 degree oven.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 601Total Fat: 34gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 196mgSodium: 569mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 1gSugar: 8gProtein: 61g