Curry Chicken Salad
When I go out to eat, I love experiencing something different that I’ve never had or made before. Sometimes I order things that seem really difficult that I know I’ll never be able to replicate, then sometimes I get lucky and order something that I know I can handle. This Curry Chicken Salad was inspired by a curry chicken salad sandwich at a little cafe called Elmwood in Berkeley, CA. It was so delicious, I couldn’t wait to try making it. This curry chicken salad is so refreshing with crunchy green onions, chewy golden raisins, and toasted walnuts, tossed in a creamy, curry dressing. Serve it up in lettuce wraps, a baguette, or atop a salad. This makes a great summer time lunch or dinner. 🙂
When I ate my curry chicken salad sandwich at Elmwood Cafe, I knew I could make it easily because I already have a go-to curry dressing for my Coleslaw with Creamy Curry Dressing. I just used it, and it worked perfectly. I love repurposing things like that. 😀
I poached the chicken breasts for this salad, but you can bake it, cook it in your slow cooker, or whatever method you like. Let’s not rule out shredding some rotisserie chicken, either, on those busy days. This salad is perfect for utilizing leftover chicken. 🙂 I used toasted walnuts here, but toasted, sliced almonds would be great as well. Trader Joe’s sells them pre-toasted, too! What a time saver.
This salad is so versatile and quick to put together, there’s really no excuse not to make it is there? You’ll be glad you did. 🙂
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (1 lb.), cooked and shredded
- 1 large stalk celery, white part trimmed off, halved and coarsely chopped
- 2 green onions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup golden raisins
- ⅓ cup toasted walnut pieces or sliced almonds
- ⅓ cup reduced fat Vegenaise or low fat mayo
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic or white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Place the chicken, celery, green onions, golden raisins, and toasted nuts in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the Veganaise, canola oil, vinegar, honey, curry powder, salt, and pepper. Pour the dressing over the chicken mixture, and stir gently to combine. Serve on your favorite bread, in lettuce wraps, or atop a salad!
Total time above does not include cooking the chicken. Poach, bake, or use leftover or rotisserie chicken.
Recipe by Flavor the Moments.