Easy Baked Lemon Dijon Salmon
Easy Baked Lemon Dijon Salmon is a flavorful, healthy oven baked salmon recipe that takes only 5 minutes of prep and is on the table in 20 minutes!
Spring has arrived, albeit without the spring-y weather. It’s raining and gloomy and even my dog Kal doesn’t want to go outside.
Kal went to the back door so I went to let him out, and he took one look at the soggy wet ground and turned around and came back in.
My husband dubbed Kal a marshmallow for his aversion to getting wet, but I have to admit that I can’t blame him. 🙂
All that aside, this easy baked lemon dijon salmon has brought some brightness to my world today. The sunny yellow color of the lemon and dijon mustard combined with an explosion of flavor will do that for a person.
I’ve made this dijon salmon countless times because it requires minimal prep, making it great for busy weeknights, and I love it’s versatility.
I love serving it as a sheet pan supper as well with roasted fingerlings and vegetables like I did for this chicken dinner. If you’d like to do that, simply follow the instructions for this recipe and add the fish during the last 15 minutes or so of cooking time.
How to make this recipe
This lemon dijon salmon takes only 5 minutes of prep which I love.
- Stir your olive oil, dijon, lemon juice, garlic and thyme together and spoon half of the mixture over the salmon along with some lemon slices.
- After about 10 minutes, remove the salmon from the oven and spoon the remaining dijon mixture over the fillets and finish cooking for another 3-5 minutes.
How long to bake salmon
First, the thickness of the fish will determine how long you need to cook it. A good rule of thumb is about 10 minutes of cook time per inch, so purchasing salmon fillets that are the same thickness is ideal.
Next, the doneness of your fish will also be a factor. If you’d like your fish to be cooked to medium or still pink in the center, 10-12 minutes for a fillet that’s 1″ thick should be just right.
If you like your salmon cooked all the way through, 15 minutes or so of cooking time should be adequate.
I prefer my salmon cooked medium in order to get a nice moist fillet. When you cook it through, the salmon can dry out easily.
The salmon is done when the fat has rendered.
Recipe tips and substitutions
- I love prepping the dijon sauce in advance so that all I have to do is slather it over my fillets and bake them when I’m ready. The sauce is also wonderful as a marinade for chicken!
- You can also cook this entire dish in advance and portion it into dishes with your favorite grains, rice, vegetables and salad for lunch or weeknight dinners.
- This recipe would be great on the grill as well. Check out this baked salmon in foil recipe!
What to serve with baked salmon
More salmon recipes:
Easy Baked Lemon Dijon Salmon
- 1 1/2 lb. wild salmon fillets
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice plus lemon slices for topping
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place the salmon fillets on a foil or a silpat lined rimmed baking sheet and blot dry with a paper towel. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Place the olive oil, garlic, dijon, lemon juice and thyme in a small bowl and stir to combine.
- Spoon half of the lemon dijon mixture over the salmon fillets, top with the lemon slices, and bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and top with the remaining sauce and cook for another 3-5 minutes or until the fat has rendered and the fish flakes easily with a fork. Serve and enjoy!
- The salmon will take more or less cooking time depending on the thickness. Normally fillets that are 1" thick take about 15 minutes to cook to medium. If you'd rather your salmon be cooked through, cook an additional 3-5 minutes.
- The sauce may be made in advance or the entire dish may be cooked ahead. Portion into dishes with your favorite grains, salad or potatoes for a great meal prep option!
- This meal can easily be made into a sheet pan dinner. Simply follow the instructions for this Sheet Pan Lemon Thyme Chicken and add the salmon during the last 15 minutes of cook time.
Nutrition is estimated using a food database and is only intended to be used as a guideline for informational purposes.