Roasted Green Beans with Parmesan
How many times have we heard that green beans should be boiled or steamed, then shocked in an ice bath to maintain their beautiful, bright green hue? I have heard it countless times, and I’m putting it to rest right here.
These Roasted Green Beans with Parmesan defy the notion that green beans must be truly green to be appealing. In fact, these green beans are downright charred in appearance, which may take you completely off guard.
What really puts these roasted green beans over the top is cooking them in freshly grated parmesan cheese for the last few minutes. These green beans are caramelized, salty, and nutty, and I’ll go so far as to say that they’re a real treat.
Finicky veggie eaters will more than likely even enjoy these. They’re ridiculously good.
This recipe was adapted from Cooking Light Magazine’s Green Beans with Parmesan about a year and a half ago. There are many recipes out there for roasted green beans, but they require your oven to be on. I like this method because they’re pan roasted on the stove top.
These are ready in about 13 minutes, with very minimal prep, and you’ll have yourself a tantalizing veggie dish that people will actually be excited about.
Who knew green beans didn’t have to be bright green to be visually stunning? I never really used the ice bath method, anyway, so roasting green beans was completely logical to me! 🙂
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. fresh green beans, washed, drained, and tops trimmed off
- 2 heaping tablespoons of freshly grated parmesan, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium to medium high heat. Add the green beans, salt, and pepper, and stir. Cover and cook 10 minutes, stirring the green beans about every 3-4 minutes so that they all get nice and charred. If the beans brown too quickly, lower the heat a bit.
- Add the parmesan cheese, stir, and cover and cook 3 more minutes. Serve with extra parmesan cheese for garnish.
- Adapted from Cooking Light's Green Beans with Parmesan.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 71 Total Fat: 4g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 1mg Sodium: 164mg Carbohydrates: 8g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 4g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 2g