Slow Cooker Peppermint Hot Chocolate
Slow Cooker Peppermint Hot Chocolate is the easy way to prepare rich, creamy hot chocolate. Top with whipped cream or marshmallows and crushed candy cane!
This will be my last post before Christmas so I can relax and enjoy the holiday with my family. I knew I wanted to leave you a recipe that was super festive and always welcome. I mean, what’s winter without a great cup of hot chocolate?
This Slow Cooker Peppermint Hot Chocolate is what winter is all about!
My kids are crazy about hot chocolate. I started testing slow cooker hot chocolate recipes a few weeks ago because I decided to set up a hot chocolate bar for Christmas Eve. It will be complete with homemade marshmallows, whipped cream, and plenty of peppermint crunch.
I’m not sure if anybody else will get any with my kids around….we’ll just have to see how it goes. 🙂
We have a tradition to drink hot chocolate while decorating the tree, so we’ll be making this recipe to keep this tradition alive every year.
This hot chocolate couldn’t be easier. Just pop your chocolate chips in the slow cooker and add your milk and sweetener, and let it cook for a few hours over low heat.
Other than whisking it every now and then to distribute the melted chocolate throughout, this stuff is low maintenance.
Use your favorite type of milk in this recipe. If you like a really hot chocolate, half and half or whole milk would be great options. If you’re trying to cut down on fat, use low fat or skim.
I used Guittard semi-sweet baking wafers in this recipe and they melted beautifully. You can definitely chop a bar of chocolate or even use chocolate chips. Just bear in the mind that the better the quality of chocolate, the better your hot chocolate will be. And dark chocolate is a great option as well!
My advice is to start with 3 tablespoons of sugar and go from there. You can always add more — just whisk it in until dissolved.
This recipe is easily scaled to serve a crowd!
This Slow Cooker Peppermint Hot Chocolate is guaranteed to be a huge hit, and is perfect for parties and holiday gatherings.
I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas, and I’ll be back next week with a delicious appetizer recipe for New Year’s Eve!
In the mood for more chocolate and peppermint? Try these:
Slow Cooker Peppermint Hot Chocolate
- 4 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar*
- 4 ounces chopped semisweet chocolate or baking wafers
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder dark or regular
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract optional
- Optional toppings: whipped cream and peppermint crunch or marshmallows
- Place all ingredients in a slow cooker and whisk well to combine.
- Cook on low heat for about 2-3 hours, whisking the mixture from time to time to incorporate the melted chocolate.
- Serve warm with whipped cream or marshmallows and crushed candy canes!
- Nutrition information does not include the optional toppings.
- *If you like your hot chocolate a little sweeter, add up to 1-2 tablespoons more granulated sugar.
- For more peppermint flavor, add up to 1/2 teaspoon more peppermint extract, or omit altogether if you don’t prefer peppermint.
- Use your favorite type of milk in this recipe. For richer hot chocolate, use half and half or whole milk. If you’re trying to cut down on fat, use low fat or skim milk.
- I used Guittard semi-sweet baking wafers in this recipe and they melted beautifully. You can definitely chop a bar of chocolate or even use chocolate chips. Just bear in the mind that the better the quality of chocolate, the better your hot chocolate will be. And dark chocolate is a great option as well!
- This recipe is easily scaled to serve a crowd!
Nutrition is estimated using a food database and is only intended to be used as a guideline for informational purposes.