Asian Black Rice Salad with Ginger Orange Dressing
Asian Black Rice Salad with Ginger Orange Dressing is an exotic mix of black rice, edamame, crunchy vegetables, and juicy oranges tossed in a ginger-orange dressing. It’s sweet, savory, and makes the perfect healthy lunch or side dish!
We’re really traveling the globe this week, aren’t we? Earlier in the week it was South of the Border with my Chicken Taco Cups, and now this Asian Black Rice Salad with Ginger Orange Dressing will take you straight to Asia.
I guess you can’t say I never take you anywhere. 🙂
I’ve been really excited to bring this recipe to you, but I couldn’t post it any sooner because I was working furiously on my first-ever video, which you can find at the bottom of this post! It’s nothing fancy, but it’s a start. While it was time consuming, I had a lot of fun with it and I definitely see a lot more videos in my future. And I promise — they will get better!
Now, let’s talk about this salad. The black rice from one of my favorite brands, Village Harvest.
Village Harvest makes it easy to keep a healthy lifestyle this New Year because all of its rice and grains are natural and unprocessed, and they’re so easy to pair with a number of ingredients to create exciting recipes.
Excitement is exactly what we need to help us stay on track!
I’m a fan of Village Harvest not only because their products are top quality and perfect for a healthy lifestyle, and because they give back to communities through social development and sustainability projects. They send funds that help schools and educational programs, provide clothing and food for children, and pledge to donate 1% of profits to support these global programs.
Village Harvest is always on the look out for new ways to be innovative looking for new ways to help farmers or discovering new possibilities in the kitchen.
It’s more than just rice…it’s global goodness in a bag!
If you’re not familiar with black rice, let me just give you a quick run-down. It’s got a delicious, earthy flavor, and it’s packed with vitamins, iron, minerals, and fiber. It’s also naturally gluten-free and heart-healthy.
It just keeps getting better, doesn’t it?
I loved working with this black rice because it’s so versatile. After several ideas, I finally decided to do an Asian spin. I love Asian flavors, and this salad has all of the qualities I love. It’s both sweet and savory, and it’s full of texture. The vinaigrette alone oozes with umami flavor from the ginger, soy sauce, orange juice, and a splash of sesame oil. Combine that with the earthy flavor of the rice, sweet bell peppers and orange, and savory green onions and you’ve got a salad that’s bursting with flavor.
I think you’ll love the variety of textures going on too — the slightly chewy black rice, crunchy vegetables, juicy orange, and edamame — it’s just perfection. Flavors and textures like this make healthy eating exciting!
This Asian Black Rice Salad with Ginger Orange Vinaigrette just goes to show that eating healthy doesn’t have to be boring. This salad is flavorful, satisfying, and straight up addicting. It’ll have you coming back for more, and that’s ok. It’s healthy, remember? 🙂
- 1 cup Village Harvest Black Rice, cooked according to package instructions and cooled
- 1 cup shelled edamame (thawed if frozen)
- 1 bell pepper, seeded and chopped (I used ½ red and ½ yellow for color)
- 2 clementines, peeled, sliced widthwise, and cut into small triangles (or use 1 small navel orange)
- 2 green onions, both white and green parts, sliced on the bias
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- sesame seeds, for garnish (optional)
- 1½ tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- ½ tablespoon reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons honey or agave syrup
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger*
- 1 small clove garlic, grated or chopped very fine
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil (optional but great for flavor!)
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt, to taste
- Place the rice in a large serving bowl. Add the edamame, bell pepper, clementines, green onions, and cilantro to the bowl. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the rice wine vinegar, orange juice, soy sauce, honey or agave, ginger, garlic, and sesame oil. Whisking constantly, add the olive oil in a slow steady stream. Add a pinch of salt if desired, and add the dressing to the salad. Toss until the salad is well coated with the dressing and sprinkle with sesame seeds, if using. Serve and enjoy!
Recipe by Flavor the Moments.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.