Chicken Burrito Bowls with Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice
This post has been sponsored by Earthbound Farm Organic. All opinions expressed here are my own, as I only promote products that I truly love.
Chicken Burrito Bowls with Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice are healthy, low carb chicken burrito bowls served with cilantro lime cauliflower rice. They’re great for meal prep!
I could truly eat every meal out of a bowl. It’s pure fun piling some delicious ingredients together in a bowl and mixing them all up, isn’t it?
Naturally, things get even better when the bowl is piled high with Mexican ingredients like these Chicken Burrito Bowls with Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice!
I’ve loved Chipotle’s chicken burrito bowls as long as I can remember, and one of the main attractions for me has always been their cilantro lime rice. I actually created my own version of that cilantro lime rice, and have used it in dishes like these fish taco bowls.
A girl’s gotta have some low carb options, however (swimsuit season is coming!). I thought it would be fun to prepare healthy, grain free chicken burrito bowls with cilantro lime cauliflower rice, and they were a huge success.
These burrito bowls are gluten-free, dairy free, Whole30, keto and paleo-friendly! See this recipe for low carb chicken burrito bowls with a Thai twist!
People are over the moon for cauliflower rice for good reason. It’s nutrient dense, low in calories and carbohydrates, and it’s extremely versatile, making it a great addition to any meal.
One serving (or 3/4 cup) of cauliflower rice contains only 25 calories and 1 carbohydrate!
Making cauliflower rice can be time consuming, so it’s nice to have a high quality, convenient option like Earthbound Farm Organic Frozen Riced Cauliflower tucked away in the freezer.
I’m so impressed with the quality of this frozen cauliflower rice, and it cooks up in the microwave right in the bag (or use stove top instructions) in just a few minutes.
I’ve also used some of Earthbound Farm Organic’s other frozen fruits and veggies like Kabocha Squash, Carrot Linguine and Triple Cherry Blend.
Check out their frozen products here!
Also, in celebration of Earth Month, Earthbound Farm is asking, “How green are you?” From now till April 30, take their quiz to see how your shopping choices stack up. Bonus? You’ll be entered to win one of 12,000 snazzy reusable totes to take your sustainable shopping game to the next level.
Earthbound Farm Organic has been a brand that I’ve trusted and enjoyed for years. I’ve become even more impressed with the company the past several months as I’ve worked closely with many of it’s employees. Each person I’ve met is driven to provide consumers with high quality, organic produce with the betterment of the planet at the forefront.
I’ve toured its farms and seen the work that goes into organic farming. It’s not easy, and growing cauliflower is especially tedious.
We take our pristine white heads of cauliflower for granted. Did you know that cauliflower can actually get sunburned? True story! The leaves of each and every head of cauliflower are tied together to protect those beautiful white heads from discoloration.
At harvest, each head is cut by hand as well. So much work goes into growing and harvesting cauliflower, and I’ll never take it for granted again.
If you’d like to see more about my farm tour, read this post.
How to make Chicken Burrito Bowls with Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice
You can attack the prep for these healthy chicken burrito bowls a number of ways, so let’s break it down by component.
For the chicken, you can either pan-sear it, grill it, or even use rotisserie or leftover shredded chicken if you have it on hand.
I always pound my chicken breast to an even thickness so that it cooks more evenly. I took a simple approach here and simply sprinkled the chicken with my homemade taco seasoning on both sides, but if you’re in the mood for a tequila marinade, you can check out my recipe for grilled tequila lime chicken. 🙂
Pan-sear or grill over medium heat for 6-7 minutes per side (depending on the size of your chicken breast), or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
While the chicken is cooking, you can prepare all the other ingredients so that dinner is on the table in 30 minutes or less!
I followed the easy cooking instructions on the frozen cauliflower rice package, and chose the microwave method, which was cooked right in the bag! Let the bag stand for 1-2 minutes, drain the cauliflower rice in a colander, and toss with lime zest, juice, chopped cilantro and salt to taste.
I chose to include chopped romaine lettuce, a quick tomato salsa, black beans and guacamole to round out my burrito bowls.
I highly recommend making a batch of my instant pot black beans, which you can make in advance AND freeze what you don’t use. Of course, you can use rinsed and drained canned black beans as well.
From there, assemble your bowls and enjoy!
Recipe tips and substitutions
These chicken burrito bowls are highly customizable. Swap out the chicken for beef, or omit altogether and enjoy a vegetarian cauliflower rice burrito bowl!
Chicken burrito bowls are great for meal prep! Portion everything into air tight containers and store in the fridge for 3-4 days. Instead of guacamole or salsa, opt for chopped fresh veggies that will stay fresher longer.
More Mexican recipe inspiration:
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast, pounded to even thickness (about 3/4")
- 2 teaspoons Homemade Taco Seasoning (or store bought)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- (1) 10 ounce package Earthbound Farm Organic frozen riced cauliflower, cooked according to package instructions and drained
- 2 limes
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 1 jalapeño, chopped
- 1/2 batch 5-minute Homemade Guacamole
- 2 cups Earthbound Farm Organic Whole Romaine Leaves, chopped
- 1 cup Easy Instant Pot Black Beans (no soaking!) or store bought
- Lime wedges and additional cilantro for serving, optional
Prepare the chicken:
- Season the chicken breast on both sides with the taco seasoning. For best results, allow to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes for more even cooking.
- Heat the olive oil in a cast iron skillet or grill pan over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned on first side and it releases easily from the pan, about 6-7 minutes. Turn and cook on the second side until well browned and the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. Remove from heat and allow to rest covered loosely with foil. Slice when ready to serve.
Prepare the cilantro lime cauliflower rice:
Place the cooked and drained cauliflower rice in a medium bowl. Add the zest of 1 lime, lime juice, 2 tablespoons of the chopped cilantro and salt, to taste, and stir to combine.
Prepare the salsa:
Place the chopped tomato, green onion, remaining 1 tablespoon of cilantro, jalapeño, juice from half a lime and salt, to taste in a small bowl and stir to combine.
Assemble the burrito bowls:
Divide the cauliflower rice between 2 bowls. Top with sliced chicken, chopped romaine, black beans, guacamole, and salsa. Serve with extra cilantro and lime wedges, and enjoy!
- These chicken burrito bowls are highly customizable. Use rotisserie or shredded chicken, or swap out the chicken for beef. You may also omit the meat altogether and enjoy a vegetarian cauliflower rice burrito bowl!
- My mango tomatillo guacamole and fresh pineapple salsa are other great toppings to change things up, or use whatever fruits/veggies that you have on hand to create your own.
- Chicken burrito bowls are great for meal prep! Portion everything into air tight containers and store in the fridge for 3-4 days. The guacamole may be omitted for meal prep as it will discolor, or add sliced avocado the day that it's served.
- Lodge 12 Inch Cast Iron Skillet. Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet with Red Silicone Hot Handle Holder.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.