Spicy Lime Grilled Shrimp
Spicy Lime Grilled Shrimp is juicy, succulent grilled shrimp with tangy lime flavor and plenty of spice! Serve with rice or quinoa for the perfect quick and easy meal!
For some reason, I don’t make a lot of shrimp. I get in ruts with my mainstays…chicken, salmon fillets, ground turkey or turkey sausage, and I forget about good old trusty shrimp. Every time I make it, we all love it. It’s something that can be prepared so quickly, too, which makes me really wonder how I can forget about it? It takes minutes to cook, it’s so versatile, and it always feels special. This Spicy Lime Grilled Shrimp is very special, and it will wow you. It’s marinated in fresh lime juice, garlic, chili powder, paprika, and garlic, and just pops with flavor. The spice didn’t even bother my kids because the lime juice cuts through the spiciness just perfectly. This shrimp dish is a keeper, I tell ya. 🙂
I’d been wanting to make the Cilantro Lime Rice that I posted yesterday for a while, and when I came across the recipe for this shrimp in Cooking Light magazine, I knew that was the main dish that I was going to serve with it. All of the flavors married perfectly….the spices with the lime and all of that cilantro….it was a match made in heaven.
I actually made this shrimp twice in one week…that’s how much I liked it. The first time I was convinced that it was going to be too spicy for the kids, so I made something else for them in short order cook style. We let them try some during dinner, and they absolutely loved it. They looked at me incredulously wondering how I would’ve thought it was too spicy for them. In hindsight, I think I just convinced myself it was too spicy for them because I didn’t want to share it. 😉 Quite possible, but I made it again, and we all got some.
This dish is going to be a mainstay for me….my ace in the hole. I can make the marinade ahead of time, marinate the shrimp 30 minutes before grilling, and it’s done in 4 minutes tops. It’s a super quick week night meal, or a lovely meal for entertaining. Fire up the grill and make some today!
- 1 lb. fresh or frozen large shrimp, thawed, peeled and deveined
- Juice of one large lime (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 5 small wooden skewers (about 5-6" in size)
- Lime wedges, for serving
- In a small bowl, combine the lime juice, olive oil, garlic, chili powder, cumin, and paprika. Pour the shrimp in a medium bowl or into a resealable zip top bag. Pour the marinade over the shrimp and toss to coat. Marinate the shrimp in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Preheat an outdoor grill or grill pan to medium heat. If using an outdoor grill, soak the skeweers quickly in water so that they won't catch fire. Remove the shrimp from the bowl and thread onto the wooden skewers, about 4 shrimp per skewer (you can fit more if they're smaller shrimp). Sprinkle the shrimp with salt and pepper. Grill 2 minutes per side, or until pink. The shrimp cook very quickly, so keep a close eye on them to ensure that they don't overcook. Serve with lime wedges and a side of rice!
Recipe adapted from Cooking Light's Spicy Grilled Shrimp and Quinoa Salad.