Healthier Banana Split Muffins
Healthier Banana Split Muffins are moist and light, with plenty of banana flavor, crushed pineapple, chocolate chips, and of course, the cherry on top. Now you can eat a banana split for breakfast without the guilt!
I just love creating healthier muffins that I can stuff my face with. 🙂 Normally I eat my healthy bowl of oatmeal with fruit, but I love to break up the monotony with a nice, tasty muffin or quick bread. I look forward to breakfast when I know something like this banana split muffin is waiting for me. It’s moist, and chock full of banana split flavors. In your wildest dreams, did you ever imagine yourself eating a banana split for breakfast? Well, now you can. 😀
This recipe was adapted from one of my most popular recipes, which is my Healthier Hummingbird Muffins. These muffins are a favorite of mine as well! I omitted the coconut and added chocolate chips and a maraschino cherry because, let’s face it, it’s not a banana split without chocolate and a cherry on top!
All of my healthier muffins on this site include Greek yogurt. The yogurt gives them moistness and tang, much like buttermilk or sour cream. I love using Chobani’s 6 ounce flavored varieties in my muffins, but this time opted for vanilla because I was fresh out of everything else. I’m going to try the muffins with strawberry, cherry, or banana next time. The more fruity flavor the better! We are talking about banana splits here, after all. 😉
These muffins are great for breakfast, snacks, or packed in school lunch boxes. Who’s eyes wouldn’t light up at the mere sight of one of these? I know my boys are crazy about ’em, and so am I. 🙂
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup light brown sugar, packed
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup mashed banana (about 2½ medium)
- ½ cup vanilla yogurt
- ¼ cup low fat or non fat milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup crushed pineapple, drained
- ¼ cup mini chocolate chips, plus more for the top
- 7 maraschino cherries, halved
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line one standard muffin pan with 12 muffin liners and a second one with two liners. Spray liners with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the sugar, oil, and eggs until foamy, about 1 minute. Whisk in the banana, yogurt, milk, and vanilla. Stir in the dry ingredients until just moistened, then fold in the crushed pineapple and chocolate chips.
- Using an ice cream scoop, fill the muffin cups with the muffin batter, about ¾ full. Top each with a maraschino cherry half and some mini chocolate chips. Bake one muffin pan at a time, 15-20 minutes, or until the muffins are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove the muffins from the pan and continue to cool. Bake the remaining two muffins and repeat the cooling process. Store in an air tight container at room temperature.
Recipe adapted from Flavor the Moments Healthier Hummingbird Muffins.