Mango Tomatillo Guacamole
Mango Tomatillo Guacamole is creamy guacamole with a blend of sweet mango and tangy tomatillo. It’s a great way to change up your guac!
**This post was originally published in April 2014. It was republished as the photos, recipe and text have been updated.
Guacamole has to be one of my all time favorite dips, and I serve it up often. Normally I make my Homemade Guacamole once or twice a week, but every now and then I love to shake things up. 🙂
This Mango Tomatillo Guacamole is a fun new twist on guacamole. It’s a flavor explosion with creamy avocado, sweet, juicy mango, tangy tomatillo and spicy jalapeno. There’s plenty of lime juice to give it a pop of citrus flavor, and the red onion and cilantro add crispness and freshness.
This homemade guacamole hits all the notes!
I experienced raw tomatillo salsa when Gonzalo Gonzales Guzman from the restaurant Nopalito in San Francscio came in and did a cooking demonstration for my class at cooking school. He made several dishes, but oddly enough it was that simple tomatillo salsa that I couldn’t stop thinking about.
The salsa may have been simple, but the flavor balance was perfect.
Tomatillos are like tart, little green tomatoes. They’re a bit more acidic than tomatoes, and they impart a delicious flavor to your salsas or guacamole. They’re great to use in place of tomatoes when they’re not in season!
The first time I worked with tomatillos I was surprised that the flesh was a bit sticky after I removed the husks. Simply wash them well, stem them like you would a tomato, finely chop them.
Find out everything you need to know about them in this collection of tomatillo recipes as it includes a handy produce guide!
This Mango Tomatillo Guacamole comes together in only 15 minutes and it will take your guests by surprise. It’s full of unexpected sweet and savory flavor, and it’s so much fun to watch people try and figure out exactly what they’re tasting.
Nobody will guess that this guacamole contains tomatillo…it’s your secret ingredient!
I’ve made this Mango Tomatillo Guacamole many times and it’s always a hit. It’s bright, fresh and full of exciting flavor, so believe me when I tell you that it’s going to go fast.
A double batch is always a good idea. 🙂
More Mexican recipes you’ll love!
- Enchilada Bake
- Green enchilada sauce
- Mango salsa
- Mexican Corn Salad
- Restaurant Style Salsa by Iowa Girl Eats
- Shrimp ceviche
If you try this recipe I’d love to hear from you! Leave a comment and rating below, or tag me at @flavorthemoments on Instagram!
Mango Tomatillo Guacamole
- 2 large ripe avocados
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 small ripe mango cut into small dice
- 2 small tomatillos husks removed, washed, stemmed, and chopped
- 1 small jalapeño finely chopped (omit the seeds for less spice)
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- salt and pepper to taste
- Halve the avocados and remove the pit. Scoop out the flesh with a spoon and place in a medium bowl. Using a knife, slice the avocado against the sides of the bowl until it’s chunky (or mash with a fork if you prefer).
- Add the lime juice, mango, tomatillos, jalapeno, red onion, cilantro, salt and pepper and stir gently until combined. Taste and adjust the seasoning as necessary.
- Serve with chips, tacos, fajitas and more!
- Guacamole is best served immediately to prevent oxidation, but if you make it a few hours ahead, reserve the pits from the avocados and nestle them into the guacamole and cover with plastic wrap.
Nutrition is estimated using a food database and is only intended to be used as a guideline for informational purposes.