Mango Tomatillo Guacamole
Mango Tomatillo Guacamole is creamy guacamole with a blend of sweet mango and tangy tomatillo. It’s a great way to change up your guac!
**This post was originally published in April 2014. It was republished as the photos, recipe and text have been updated.
Guacamole has to be one of my all time favorite dips, and I serve it up often. Normally I make my 5-Minute Homemade Guacamole once or twice a week, but every now and then I love to shake things up. 🙂
This Mango Tomatillo Guacamole is a fun new twist on guacamole. It’s a flavor explosion with creamy avocado, sweet, juicy mango, tangy tomatillo and spicy jalapeno. There’s plenty of lime juice to give it a pop of citrus flavor, and the red onion and cilantro add crispness and freshness.
This homemade guacamole hits all the notes!
I experienced raw tomatillo salsa when Gonzalo Gonzales Guzman from the restaurant Nopalito in San Francscio came in and did a cooking demonstration for my class at cooking school. He made several dishes, but oddly enough it was that simple tomatillo salsa that I couldn’t stop thinking about.
The salsa may have been simple, but the flavor balance was perfect. I haven’t gotten around to creating a homemade tomatillo salsa verde yet, but this Mango Tomatillo Guacamole is a great substitute until then. 🙂
Tomatillos are like tart, little green tomatoes. They’re a bit more acidic than tomatoes, and they impart a delicious flavor to your salsas or guacamole. They’re great to use in place of tomatoes when they’re not in season!
The first time I worked with tomatillos I was surprised that the flesh was a bit sticky after I removed the husks. Simply wash them well, stem them like you would a tomato, finely chop them.
Mango Tomatillo Guacamole
This Mango Tomatillo Guacamole comes together in only 15 minutes and it will take your guests by surprise. It’s full of unexpected sweet and savory flavor, and it’s so much fun to watch people try and figure out exactly what they’re tasting.
Nobody will guess that this guacamole contains tomatillo…it’s your secret ingredient!
I’ve made this Mango Tomatillo Guacamole many times and it’s always a hit. It’s bright, fresh and full of exciting flavor, so believe me when I tell you that it’s going to go fast.
A double batch is always a good idea. 🙂
More Mexican recipes you’ll love!
- 2 large ripe avocados
- Juice of 1 1/2 -2 limes (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 small ripe mango, cut into small dice
- 2 small tomatillos, husks removed, washed, stemmed, and chopped
- 1 small jalapeño, finely chopped (omit the seeds for less spice)
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Halve the avocados and remove the pit. Scoop out the flesh with a spoon and place in a medium bowl. Using a knife, slice the avocado against the sides of the bowl until it’s chunky (or mash with a fork if you prefer).
- Add the lime juice, mango, tomatillos, jalapeno, red onion, cilantro, salt and pepper and stir gently until combined. Taste and adjust the seasoning as necessary.
- Serve with chips, tacos, fajitas and more!
- Guacamole is best served immediately to prevent oxidation, but if you make it a few hours ahead, reserve the pits from the avocados and nestle them into the guacamole and cover with plastic wrap.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 219Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 118mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 8gSugar: 21gProtein: 3g