Pina Colada Chia Overnight Oats
Pina Colada Chia Overnight Oats are creamy pina colada overnight oats that are gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan and perfect for meal prep!
If you like pina coladas….have I got the breakfast for you! You thought I was going to sing, didn’t you? I’d be lying if I told you that I didn’t hear that song in my head every time I enjoy a piña colada….or these Pina Colada Chia Overnight Oats.
The song is catchy, and so are these flavors. 🙂
So yesterday was my birthday, which I mentioned was coming when I posted these Fruit Tart Vanilla Cupcakes. The cupcakes were an early gift to myself, but what’s a girl to do on her actual birthday if she’s already had cupcakes (plus more behind the scenes)?
Create an overnight oat version of her favorite tropical cocktail, of course! I have no idea why I’m talking about myself in the third person, but we’ll just forget about that and talk piña coladas.
Last year I went to Maui with my family, and I’m going back very soon. I posted my Fresh Pineapple Pina Coladas after I got back last year and it’s a huge favorite. Sure, there’s rum in that one, but I did not spike these overnight oats.
As much as I like rum, I don’t want it for breakfast (even if I am so old I’d like to forget).
Pina Colada Chia Overnight Oats
As I said, there’s no rum in sight here, but there is plenty of coconut milk, sweetened shredded coconut, and fresh, juicy pineapple. The creamy coconut milk gives these oats that piña colada richness, and the sweet pineapple takes it all the way to the tropics and back. You need this breakfast!
I always add chia seeds to my oats, because I’ve tried overnight oats without them and it just wasn’t the same. I promise, you’ll love them. I added coconut milk yogurt to my oats to make them even creamier, but that’s totally optional.
When I made these overnight oats, I added the chopped fresh pineapple to the oats and left them in the fridge for several hours before I photographed them. The pineapple got so sour sitting in the mixture, like the oats just leeched the sweetness right out of it.
It was a surprise to me, so from now on, I’ll only add the fruit just before serving. Sour pineapple is no fun in a piña colada or anywhere else!
These Pina Colada Chia Overnight Oats will have you singing “if you like piña coladas…” and feeling happy the entire day. They’re a day changer! Waking up to a breakfast that looks like a cocktail is pretty fun stuff.
Cheers and Aloha. 🙂
More delicious overnight oat recipes!
- 2 cups old fashioned rolled oats*
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2½ cups coconut milk
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk yogurt
- 1 cup chopped fresh pineapple (crushed pineapple may be substituted)
- ½ cup sweetened shredded coconut
- Place the oats, chia seeds, maple syrup and milk in a medium bowl and stir to combine. Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator overnight.
- Remove the plastic wrap the next day and stir in the yogurt, pineapple, and coconut. Top with more coconut and pineapple if desired. Serve and enjoy!
- I added the fresh pineapple to the oats the night before and it was extremely sour the next day. Add the pineapple just before serving.
- The coconut milk and dairy free yogurt may be substituted with the milk and yogurt of your choice.
- I found that just a bit of maple syrup plus the juicy pineapple made these oats plenty sweet for me. If you like things sweeter, you can use sweetened vanilla yogurt or add more maple syrup!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 366 Saturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 5mg Sodium: 69mg Carbohydrates: 51g Fiber: 8g Sugar: 18g Protein: 12g