Sausage, Butternut Squash and Kale Breakfast Casserole
Sausage, Butternut Squash and Kale Breakfast Casserole is an easy sausage egg casserole that’s perfect for brunch and meal prep breakfasts!
How was your Thanksgiving? We had one of the best years ever, and things went so smoothly for me this year with food prep that I thought I was forgetting something.
I have no idea why things felt so easy this year because I prepped the same way that I do every year with the exception of the gravy — I made it ahead and froze it. It worked well and I’ll definitely share that here at some point.
I made my Perfect Spatchcock Turkey and it was probably the best turkey I’ve ever made to date. When I went to carve it, the leg and thigh pulled right off like it was a rotisserie chicken. It was so tender and juicy, and I’ll never make it the traditional way again.
Now that we’re in full Christmas mode, I wanted to share this Sausage, Butternut Squash and Kale Breakfast Casserole because you need this on your holiday brunch menu!
Sausage, Butternut Squash and Kale Breakfast Casserole
Don’t let the title fool you either — this Sausage, Butternut Squash and Kale Breakfast Casserole is the perfect meal any time of day.
I prepared this sausage, egg and cheese casserole without bread, so it’s a great low carb option. This way, you can save those carbs for the coffee cake and muffins. 🙂
How to make sausage and egg casserole
This Sausage, Butternut Squash and Kale Breakfast Casserole is a crowd pleaser and is so easy to prepare.
I used Diestel turkey breakfast sausage for this recipe, which is packaged in a chub so the sausage has no casings to remove. The sausage has so much flavor that it isn’t necessary to add onion, garlic or spices, which means maximum flavor with fewer ingredients.
Simply cook the sausage in a sauté pan until cooked through, then remove from heat and set aside.
Add the butternut squash to the same pan and sauté for 1 minute. Add a couple of tablespoons of water and cook covered over medium heat for 5-10 minutes or until tender. If the pan becomes dry, lower the heat slightly and add a few tablespoons of water to the pan.
Add the kale to the pan with the butternut squash during the last 3-5 minutes of cooking time. Stir and cook until wilted.
Pour the filling into an 8×8″ square baking pan coated with cooking spray or 9″ cast iron skillet coated lightly with melted butter or oil.
Whisk the eggs with milk, half of the cheddar cheese and salt and pepper to taste until well combined, then pour over the filling. Top with the remaining cheese and bake!
How to make this breakfast casserole ahead
I normally prepare the filling the night before and assemble the casserole in the morning, but the entire dish may be assembled and stored in the refrigerator overnight as well. Simply bring to room temperature and bake it off in the morning.
You may also bake the entire casserole in advance and microwave when you’re ready to eat it. This breakfast casserole is a great meal prep breakfast, lunch or dinner!
I love the hearty texture of the dinosaur kale in this sausage and egg breakfast casserole, but if you’re not a fan, use baby kale, spinach or swiss chard instead.
Save time by using frozen butternut squash in this recipe! Cook according to package instructions and drain well before adding to this dish.
This dish may be customized using any of your favorite vegetables or leftover roasted veggies!
Make this breakfast casserole vegetarian by omitting the sausage and dairy free by omitting the cheese.
More savory brunch recipes to enjoy:
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. (16 ounces) turkey breakfast sausage, such as Diestel brand
- 1 1/2 cups cubed butternut squash
- 2-4 tablespoons water
- 1/2 bunch (2 cups) chopped dinosaur kale
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and grease an 8x8" baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cook the sausage in a large skillet over medium heat, breaking up into small chunks with a wooden spoon until cooked through about 4-5 minutes. Place in a bowl and set aside.
- Add the butternut squash to the skillet and sauté for 1 minute. Add 2 tablespoons water to the skillet and cook covered over medium heat until tender, about 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Lower the heat if the pan becomes too hot and add more water if it becomes dry.
- Add the kale to the pan with the butternut squash about halfway through the cooking time in order to wilt slightly.
- Combine the sausage, butternut squash and kale and pour into an even layer in the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Beat the eggs with the milk in medium bowl, then stir in 1/4 cup of the cheese. Pour the egg mixture evenly over the sausage vegetable mixture, then top with the remaining 1/4 cup of cheese.
- Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 25-30 minutes or until set. Cool for 5 minutes, then slice, serve and enjoy!
- Nutrition information was calculated using My Fitness Pal and is meant to be an estimate only. The numbers vary based on the quantity consumed, brands used and substitutions that are made.
- This recipe is easily doubled to feed a crowd!
- Save time by using frozen butternut squash in this recipe! Cook according to package instructions and drain well before adding to this dish.
- This dish may be customized using any of your favorite vegetables or leftover roasted veggies!
- Make this breakfast casserole vegetarian by omitting the sausage and dairy free by omitting the cheese.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 307 Total Fat: 18g Saturated Fat: 6g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 313mg Sodium: 665mg Carbohydrates: 8g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 2g Protein: 29g